The incubation period of hepatitis E genotype 1: insights from pooled analyses of travellers
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEpidemiology and Infection
AbstractHepatitis E virus genotype 1 (HEV G1) is an important cause of morbidity and mortality in Africa and Asia. HEV G1's natural history, including the incubation period, remains poorly understood, hindering surveillance efforts and effective control. Using individual-level data from 85 travel-related HEV G1 cases in England and Wales, we estimate the incubation period distribution using survival analysis methods, which allow for appropriate inference when only time ranges, rather than exact times are known for the exposure to HEV and symptom onset. We estimated a 29.8-day (95% confidence interval (CI) 24.1-36.0) median incubation period with 5% of people expected to develop symptoms within 14.3 days (95% CI 10.1-21.7) and 95% within 61.9 days (95% CI 47.4-74.4) of exposure. These estimates can help refine clinical case definitions and inform the design of disease burden and intervention studies.
PublisherCambridge University Press
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Non-travel related Hepatitis E virus genotype 3 infections in the Netherlands; a case series 2004 - 2006.
- Authors: Borgen K, Herremans T, Duizer E, Vennema H, Rutjes S, Bosman A, de Roda Husman AM, Koopmans M
- Issue date: 2008 May 8
- Autochthonous hepatitis E in Scotland.
- Authors: Ramalingam S, Smith D, Wellington L, Vanek J, Simmonds P, MacGilchrist A, Bathgate A, Simpson K, Johannessen I
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- High clinical manifestation rate in an imported outbreak of hepatitis E genotype 1 infection in a German group of travellers returning from India.
- Authors: Pischke S, Schulze-Zur-Wiesch J, Lütgehetmann M, Kreuels B, Lueth S, Kapaun P, Benten D, Schmiedel S, Sterneck M, Lohse AW, Polywka S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan-Feb
- Indigenous hepatitis E in England and wales from 2003 to 2012: evidence of an emerging novel phylotype of viruses.
- Authors: Ijaz S, Said B, Boxall E, Smit E, Morgan D, Tedder RS
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 15
- Hepatitis E: an overview and recent advances in clinical and laboratory research.
- Authors: Aggarwal R, Krawczynski K
- Issue date: 2000 Jan