Building the capacity of public health programmes to become data rich, information rich and action rich
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractGood quality, timely data are the cornerstone of health systems, but in many countries these data are not used for evidence-informed decision making and/or for improving public health. The SORT IT (Structured Operational Research and Training Initiative) model has, over 8 years, trained health workers in low- and middle-income countries to use data to answer important public health questions by taking research projects through to completion and publication in national or international journals. The D2P (data to policy) training initiative is relatively new, and it teaches health workers how to apply 'decision analysis' and develop policy briefs for policy makers: this includes description of a problem and the available evidence, quantitative comparisons of policy options that take into account predicted health and economic impacts, and political and feasibility assessments. Policies adopted from evidence-based information generated through the SORT IT and D2P approaches can be evaluated to assess their impact, and the cycle repeated to identify and resolve new public health problems. Ministries of Health could benefit from this twin-training approach to make themselves 'data rich, information rich and action rich', and thereby use routinely collected data in a synergistic manner to improve public health policy making and health care delivery.
- Public health and evidence-informed policy-making: The case of a commonly used herbicide.
- Authors: Vainio H
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 5
- Adapting the Structured Operational Research Training Initiative (SORT IT) for high-income countries.
- Authors: Ghebrehewet S, Harries AD, Kliner M, Smith K, Cleary P, Wilkinson E, Stewart A
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 21
- Strengthening national decision-making on immunization by building capacity for economic evaluation: Implementing ProVac in Europe.
- Authors: Blau J, Hoestlandt C, D Clark A, Baxter L, Felix Garcia AG, Mounaud B, Mosina L
- Issue date: 2015 May 7
- Building sustainable operational research capacity in Pakistan: starting with tuberculosis and expanding to other public health problems.
- Authors: Fatima R, Yaqoob A, Qadeer E, Hinderaker SG, Heldal E, Zachariah R, Harries AD, Kumar AMV
- Issue date: 2019
- The Structured Operational Research and Training Initiative for public health programmes.
- Authors: Ramsay A, Harries AD, Zachariah R, Bissell K, Hinderaker SG, Edginton M, Enarson DA, Satyanarayana S, Kumar AM, Hoa NB, Tweya H, Reid AJ, Van den Bergh R, Tayler-Smith K, Manzi M, Khogali M, Kizito W, Ali E, Delaunois P, Reeder JC
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 21