MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDifferentiated care, or differentiated service delivery (DSD), is increasingly being promoted as one of the possible ways to address and improve access, quality, and efficiency of HIV prevention, care, and treatment. Family-centered care has long been promoted within the provision of HIV services, but the full benefits have not necessarily been realized. In this article, we bring together these two approaches and make the case for how family-centered DSD can offer benefits to both people affected by HIV and the health system. Family-centered DSD approaches are presented for HIV testing and antiretroviral therapy (ART) delivery, referencing policies, best practice examples, and evidence from the field. With differentiated family-centered ART delivery, the potential efficiencies gained by extending ART refills can both benefit clients by reducing the frequency and intensity of contact with the health service and lead to health system gains by not requiring multiple providers to care for one family. A family-centered DSD approach should also be leveraged along the HIV care cascade in the provision of prevention technologies and mobilizing family members to receive regular HIV testing. Furthermore, a family-centered lens should be applied wherever DSD is implemented to ensure that, for example, adolescents who are pregnant receive an adapted package of quality care.
PublisherLippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Understanding implementation barriers in the national scale-up of differentiated ART delivery in Uganda.
- Authors: Zakumumpa H, Rujumba J, Kwiringira J, Katureebe C, Spicer N
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 17
- Differentiated models of service delivery for antiretroviral treatment of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa: a rapid review protocol.
- Authors: Long L, Kuchukhidze S, Pascoe S, Nichols B, Cele R, Govathson C, Huber A, Flynn D, Rosen S
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 6
- Evaluating the sustainability of differentiated service delivery interventions for stable ART clients in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review protocol.
- Authors: Okere NE, Urlings L, Naniche D, de Wit TFR, Gomez GB, Hermans S
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 2
- A call for differentiated approaches to delivering HIV services to key populations.
- Authors: Macdonald V, Verster A, Baggaley R
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 21
- A Review of Differentiated Service Delivery for HIV Treatment: Effectiveness, Mechanisms, Targeting, and Scale.
- Authors: Roy M, Bolton Moore C, Sikazwe I, Holmes CB
- Issue date: 2019 Aug