Prevalence and vaccination coverage of Hepatitis B among healthcare workers in Cameroon: A national seroprevalence survey
AuthorsBilounga Ndongo, C
Biwole Sida, M
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Viral Hepatitis
AbstractHepatitis B virus (HBV) infection is hyperendemic in Cameroon, and health care workers (HCWs) are at high-risk of infection. We aimed to assess prevalence, risk factors and vaccine coverage of HBV infection among HCWs in Cameroon. We conducted a cross-sectional study in 16 hospitals across all regions of Cameroon. HCWs were tested for HBV using rapid diagnostic tests (RDT). We collected data on socio-demographics and HBV vaccination status. We estimated prevalence of HBV and used Poisson regression models with robust standard errors to model the prevalence ratios of HBV positivity between covariates. We enrolled 1,824 of 1,836 eligible HCWs (97.5%). The mean age was 34 (SD: 10) years, 65.3% (n=1787) were women, and 11.4% (n=1747) had three or more doses of the HBV vaccine. Overall, we found a HBV prevalence of 8.7% (95% CI: 5.2 - 14.3%). Patient transporters had the highest crude prevalence (14.3%; 95%CI: 5.4-32.9%), whereas medical doctors had the lowest (3.2%; 95%CI: 0.8%-12.1%). The Far North Region had the highest prevalence of HBV (24.0%; 95%CI: 18.3%-30.8%). HBV prevalence decreased with increasing doses of the HBV vaccine (10.3% for no doses vs 3.5% for three or more doses; P<0.001). In conclusion, approximately 1 in 12 HCWs in Cameroon have evidence of HBV infection, yet fewer than 1 in 6 have been fully vaccinated. Our results illustrate the urgent need to scale up systematic HBV screening and targeted vaccination of HCWs in the region. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- Barriers to hepatitis B vaccine coverage among healthcare workers in the Republic of Georgia: An international perspective.
- Authors: Topuridze M, Butsashvili M, Kamkamidze G, Kajaia M, Morse D, McNutt LA
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Hepatitis B vaccination coverage among health care workers in China.
- Authors: Yuan Q, Wang F, Zheng H, Zhang G, Miao N, Sun X, Woodring J, Chan PL, Cui F
- Issue date: 2019
- Hepatitis B infection awareness, vaccine perceptions and uptake, and serological profile of a group of health care workers in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
- Authors: Tatsilong HO, Noubiap JJ, Nansseu JR, Aminde LN, Bigna JJ, Ndze VN, Moyou RS
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 3
- Knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding hepatitis B vaccination among hospital-based doctors and nurses in China: Results of a multi-site survey.
- Authors: Liu Y, Ma C, Jia H, Xu E, Zhou Y, Zhang Z, Lu L, Rodewald L, Hao L
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 19
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis B virus infection and associated factors among healthcare workers in northern Tanzania.
- Authors: Shao ER, Mboya IB, Gunda DW, Ruhangisa FG, Temu EM, Nkwama ML, Pyuza JJ, Kilonzo KG, Lyamuya FS, Maro VP
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 21