Outbreak of Pneumococcal Meningitis, Paoua Subprefecture, Central African Republic, 2016-2017
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractWe report a pneumococcal meningitis outbreak in the Central African Republic (251 suspected cases; 60 confirmed by latex agglutination test) in 2016-2017. Case-fatality rates (10% for confirmed case-patients) were low. In areas where a recent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine campaign was conducted, a smaller proportion of cases was seen in youngest children.
- Four years of case-based surveillance of meningitis following the introduction of MenAfriVac in Moissala, Chad: lessons learned.
- Authors: Page AL, Coldiron ME, Gamougam K, Acyl MA, Tamadji M, Lastrucci C, Hurtado N, Tehoua FC, Fermon F, Caugant DA, Porten K
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Effect of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines on Pneumococcal Meningitis, England and Wales, July 1, 2000-June 30, 2016.
- Authors: Oligbu G, Collins S, Djennad A, Sheppard CL, Fry NK, Andrews NJ, Borrow R, Ramsay ME, Ladhani SN
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Continued occurrence of serotype 1 pneumococcal meningitis in two regions located in the meningitis belt in Ghana five years after introduction of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.
- Authors: Bozio CH, Abdul-Karim A, Abenyeri J, Abubakari B, Ofosu W, Zoya J, Ouattara M, Srinivasan V, Vuong JT, Opare D, Asiedu-Bekoe F, Lessa FC
- Issue date: 2018
- An outbreak of pneumococcal meningitis among older children (≥5 years) and adults after the implementation of an infant vaccination programme with the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in Ghana.
- Authors: Kwambana-Adams BA, Asiedu-Bekoe F, Sarkodie B, Afreh OK, Kuma GK, Owusu-Okyere G, Foster-Nyarko E, Ohene SA, Okot C, Worwui AK, Okoi C, Senghore M, Otu JK, Ebruke C, Bannerman R, Amponsa-Achiano K, Opare D, Kay G, Letsa T, Kaluwa O, Appiah-Denkyira E, Bampoe V, Zaman SM, Pallen MJ, D'Alessandro U, Mwenda JM, Antonio M
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 18
- African meningitis belt pneumococcal disease epidemiology indicates a need for an effective serotype 1 containing vaccine, including for older children and adults.
- Authors: Gessner BD, Mueller JE, Yaro S
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 10