Adherence to Nucleos(t)ide Analogue Therapies for Chronic Hepatitis B Infection: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSuccessful treatment outcomes for chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection requires high levels of adherence to treatment. We searched three databases and abstracts from two conferences up to January 2018 for studies reporting the proportion of patients who were adherent to HBV antiviral therapy and pooled data using random effects meta-analysis. We included 30 studies, providing data for 23,823 patients. Overall, adherence to treatment was 74.6% (95% confidence interval [CI] 67.1%-82.1%). Adherence was similar in high-income settings (75.1%; 95% CI, 65.4%-85.0%) and in low-income and middle-income settings (72.9%; 95% CI, 57.8%-88.0%). Reported barriers to adherence included forgetting, limited understanding of the importance of adherence, and change to routine. Conclusion : There is a need to reinforce assessment and reporting of adherence as a routine part of HBV care and to assess the extent to which evidence-based interventions to improve adherence to medication for human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] and other chronic diseases are effective for HBV infection.
PublisherWiley Open Access
- Treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus infection - Dutch national guidelines.
- Authors: Buster EH, van Erpecum KJ, Schalm SW, Zaaijer HL, Brouwer JT, Gelderblom HC, de Knegt RJ, Minke Bakker C, Reesink HW, Janssen HL, Netherlands Association of Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists.
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug
- Restored function of HBV-specific T cells after long-term effective therapy with nucleos(t)ide analogues.
- Authors: Boni C, Laccabue D, Lampertico P, Giuberti T, Viganò M, Schivazappa S, Alfieri A, Pesci M, Gaeta GB, Brancaccio G, Colombo M, Missale G, Ferrari C
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Serum Level of Antibodies Against Hepatitis B Core Protein Is Associated With Clinical Relapse After Discontinuation of Nucleos(t)ide Analogue Therapy.
- Authors: Chi H, Li Z, Hansen BE, Yu T, Zhang X, Sun J, Hou J, Janssen HLA, Peng J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Hepatitis B virus-specific T cell responses after stopping nucleos(t)ide analogue therapy in HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B.
- Authors: Rinker F, Zimmer CL, Höner Zu Siederdissen C, Manns MP, Kraft ARM, Wedemeyer H, Björkström NK, Cornberg M
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Systematic review with network meta-analysis: Comparative efficacy of oral nucleos(t)ide analogues for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced hepatitis B virus reactivation.
- Authors: Zhang MY, Zhu GQ, Shi KQ, Zheng JN, Cheng Z, Zou ZL, Huang HH, Chen FY, Zheng MH
- Issue date: 2016 May 24