Reactive and pre-emptive vaccination strategies to control hepatitis E infection in emergency and refugee settings: A modelling study
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractHepatitis E Virus (HEV) is the leading cause of acute viral hepatitis globally. Symptomatic infection is associated with case fatality rates of ~20% in pregnant women and it is estimated to account for ~10,000 annual pregnancy-related deaths in southern Asia alone. Recently, large and well-documented outbreaks with high mortality have occurred in displaced population camps in Sudan, Uganda and South Sudan. However, the epidemiology of HEV is poorly defined, and the value of different immunisation strategies in outbreak settings uncertain. We aimed to estimate the critical epidemiological parameters for HEV and to evaluate the potential impact of both reactive vaccination (initiated in response to an epidemic) and pre-emptive vaccination.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- HEV study protocol : design of a cluster-randomised, blinded trial to assess the safety, immunogenicity and effectiveness of the hepatitis E vaccine HEV 239 (Hecolin) in women of childbearing age in rural Bangladesh.
- Authors: Zaman K, Dudman S, Stene-Johansen K, Qadri F, Yunus M, Sandbu S, Gurley ES, Overbo J, Julin CH, Dembinski JL, Nahar Q, Rahman A, Bhuiyan TR, Rahman M, Haque W, Khan J, Aziz A, Khanam M, Streatfield PK, Clemens JD
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 19
- High mortality associated with an outbreak of hepatitis E among displaced persons in Darfur, Sudan.
- Authors: Boccia D, Guthmann JP, Klovstad H, Hamid N, Tatay M, Ciglenecki I, Nizou JY, Nicand E, Guerin PJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 15
- Investigation of hepatitis E outbreak among refugees - Upper Nile, South Sudan, 2012-2013.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 26
- Hepatitis E vaccine immunization for rabbits to prevent animal HEV infection and zoonotic transmission.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Zeng H, Liu P, Liu L, Xia J, Wang L, Zou Q, Wang L, Zhuang H
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 11
- High Hepatitis E Seroprevalence Among Displaced Persons in South Sudan.
- Authors: Azman AS, Bouhenia M, Iyer AS, Rumunu J, Laku RL, Wamala JF, Rodriguez-Barraquer I, Lessler J, Gignoux E, Luquero FJ, Leung DT, Gurley ES, Ciglenecki I
- Issue date: 2017 Jun