Progress and Challenges in Using Oral Cholera Vaccines to Control Outbreaks: The Médecins Sans Frontières Experience
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of oral cholera vaccine (OCV) has increased since 2011, when Shanchol, the first OCV suitable for large-scale use, became available. Médecins Sans Frontières considers OCVs an essential cholera outbreak control tool and has contributed to generating new evidence on OCV use in outbreaks. We showed that large-scale mass campaigns are feasible during outbreaks, documented high short-term effectiveness and showed that vaccines are likely safe in pregnancy. We found that a single-dose regimen has high short-term effectiveness, making rapid delivery of vaccine during outbreaks easier, especially given the on-going global vaccine shortage. Despite progress, OCV has still not been used widely in some of the largest recent outbreaks and thousands of cholera deaths are reported every year. While working towards improving our tools to protect those most at-risk of cholera, we must strive to use all available effective interventions in efficient ways, including OCV, to prevent avoidable deaths today.
PublisherOxford University Press
- First outbreak response using an oral cholera vaccine in Africa: vaccine coverage, acceptability and surveillance of adverse events, Guinea, 2012.
- Authors: Luquero FJ, Grout L, Ciglenecki I, Sakoba K, Traore B, Heile M, Dialo AA, Itama C, Serafini M, Legros D, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2013
- The potential impact of case-area targeted interventions in response to cholera outbreaks: A modeling study.
- Authors: Finger F, Bertuzzo E, Luquero FJ, Naibei N, Touré B, Allan M, Porten K, Lessler J, Rinaldo A, Azman AS
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Effectiveness of one dose of oral cholera vaccine in response to an outbreak: a case-cohort study.
- Authors: Azman AS, Parker LA, Rumunu J, Tadesse F, Grandesso F, Deng LL, Lino RL, Bior BK, Lasuba M, Page AL, Ontweka L, Llosa AE, Cohuet S, Pezzoli L, Sodjinou DV, Abubakar A, Debes AK, Mpairwe AM, Wamala JF, Jamet C, Lessler J, Sack DA, Quilici ML, Ciglenecki I, Luquero FJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Feasibility and acceptability of oral cholera vaccine mass vaccination campaign in response to an outbreak and floods in Malawi.
- Authors: Msyamboza KP, M'bang'ombe M, Hausi H, Chijuwa A, Nkukumila V, Kubwalo HW, Desai S, Pezzoli L, Legros D
- Issue date: 2016
- The Impact of a One-Dose versus Two-Dose Oral Cholera Vaccine Regimen in Outbreak Settings: A Modeling Study.
- Authors: Azman AS, Luquero FJ, Ciglenecki I, Grais RF, Sack DA, Lessler J
- Issue date: 2015 Aug