Successes and challenges in optimizing the viral load cascade to improve antiretroviral therapy adherence and rationalize second-line switches in Swaziland
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs antiretroviral therapy (ART) is scaled up, more patients become eligible for routine viral load (VL) monitoring, the most important tool for monitoring ART efficacy. For HIV programmes to become effective, leakages along the VL cascade need to be minimized and treatment switching needs to be optimized. However, many HIV programmes in resource-constrained settings report significant shortfalls.
PublisherWiley Open Access
- When patients fail UNAIDS' last 90 - the "failure cascade" beyond 90-90-90 in rural Lesotho, Southern Africa: a <i>prospective cohort study</i>.
- Authors: Labhardt ND, Ringera I, Lejone TI, Cheleboi M, Wagner S, Muhairwe J, Klimkait T
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 19
- Superior virologic and treatment outcomes when viral load is measured at 3 months compared to 6 months on antiretroviral therapy.
- Authors: Kerschberger B, Boulle AM, Kranzer K, Hilderbrand K, Schomaker M, Coetzee D, Goemaere E, Van Cutsem G
- Issue date: 2015
- Factors associated with virological failure and suppression after enhanced adherence counselling, in children, adolescents and adults on antiretroviral therapy for HIV in Swaziland.
- Authors: Jobanputra K, Parker LA, Azih C, Okello V, Maphalala G, Kershberger B, Khogali M, Lujan J, Antierens A, Teck R, Ellman T, Kosgei R, Reid T
- Issue date: 2015
- Rates of switching to second-line antiretroviral therapy and impact of delayed switching on immunologic, virologic, and mortality outcomes among HIV-infected adults with virologic failure in Rakai, Uganda.
- Authors: Ssempijja V, Nakigozi G, Chang L, Gray R, Wawer M, Ndyanabo A, Kasule J, Serwadda D, Castelnuovo B, Hoog AV, Reynolds SJ
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 22
- The Treatment Cascade in Children With Unsuppressed Viral Load-A Reality Check in Rural Lesotho, Southern Africa.
- Authors: Lejone TI, Ringera I, Cheleboi M, Wagner S, Muhairwe J, Klimkait T, Labhardt ND
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 1