High treatment success rate for multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis using a bedaquiline-containing treatment regimen
Te Riele, J
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe European Respiratory Journal
AbstractBackground: South African patients with rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis and resistance to fluoroquinolones and/or injectables (pre/XDR-TB) were granted access to bedaquiline through a Clinical Access Programme with strict inclusion and exclusion criteria.Methods: Pre/XDR-TB and XDR-TB patients were treated with 24 weeks bedaquiline within an optimised, individualised background regimen that could include levofloxacin, linezolid and clofazimine as needed.Results: 200 patients were enrolled: 87 (43.9%) with XDR-TB, 99 (49.3%) were female, median age 34 years (IQR 27, 42). 134 (67.0%) were living with HIV; median CD4+ 281 (IQR 130; 467) and all on antiretroviral therapy.16/200 patients (8.0%) did not complete 6 months of bedaquiline of which 8 were lost to follow up, 6 died, 1 stopped for side effects and 1 patient was diagnosed with drug-sensitive TB.146/200 (73.0%) patients had favourable outcomes: 139/200 were cured (69.5%) and 7 completed treatment (3.5%). 25 died (12.5%), were lost from treatment (10.0%), 9 had treatment failure (4.5%).22 adverse events were attributed to bedaquiline: including QTcF >500 ms (n=5), QTcF increase >50 ms from baseline (n=11), paroxysmal atrial flutter (n=1).Conclusion: Bedaquiline added to an optimised background regimen was associated with a high rate of successful treatment outcomes for this MDR-TB and XDR-TB cohort.
PublisherEuropean Respiratory Society
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis with bedaquiline in a high HIV prevalence setting: an interim cohort analysis.
- Authors: Ndjeka N, Conradie F, Schnippel K, Hughes J, Bantubani N, Ferreira H, Maartens G, Mametja D, Meintjes G, Padanilam X, Variava E, Pym A, Pillay Y
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Effectiveness and safety of bedaquiline-containing regimens in the treatment of MDR- and XDR-TB: a multicentre study.
- Authors: Borisov SE, Dheda K, Enwerem M, Romero Leyet R, D'Ambrosio L, Centis R, Sotgiu G, Tiberi S, Alffenaar JW, Maryandyshev A, Belilovski E, Ganatra S, Skrahina A, Akkerman O, Aleksa A, Amale R, Artsukevich J, Bruchfeld J, Caminero JA, Carpena Martinez I, Codecasa L, Dalcolmo M, Denholm J, Douglas P, Duarte R, Esmail A, Fadul M, Filippov A, Davies Forsman L, Gaga M, Garcia-Fuertes JA, García-García JM, Gualano G, Jonsson J, Kunst H, Lau JS, Lazaro Mastrapa B, Teran Troya JL, Manga S, Manika K, González Montaner P, Mullerpattan J, Oelofse S, Ortelli M, Palmero DJ, Palmieri F, Papalia A, Papavasileiou A, Payen MC, Pontali E, Robalo Cordeiro C, Saderi L, Sadutshang TD, Sanukevich T, Solodovnikova V, Spanevello A, Topgyal S, Toscanini F, Tramontana AR, Udwadia ZF, Viggiani P, White V, Zumla A, Migliori GB
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Bedaquiline in the treatment of multidrug- and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Pym AS, Diacon AH, Tang SJ, Conradie F, Danilovits M, Chuchottaworn C, Vasilyeva I, Andries K, Bakare N, De Marez T, Haxaire-Theeuwes M, Lounis N, Meyvisch P, Van Baelen B, van Heeswijk RP, Dannemann B, TMC207-C209 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Long-term bedaquiline-related treatment outcomes in patients with extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis from South Africa.
- Authors: Olayanju O, Limberis J, Esmail A, Oelofse S, Gina P, Pietersen E, Fadul M, Warren R, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Incremental Cost Effectiveness of Bedaquiline for the Treatment of Rifampicin-Resistant Tuberculosis in South Africa: Model-Based Analysis.
- Authors: Schnippel K, Firnhaber C, Conradie F, Ndjeka N, Sinanovic E
- Issue date: 2018 Feb