Extremely Low Hepatitis C prevalence among HIV co-infected individuals in 4 countries in sub-Saharan Africa
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract: A multicentric, retrospective case-series analysis (facility-based) in five sites across Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, and Uganda screened HIV-positive adults for hepatitis C virus (HCV) antibodies using Oraquick rapid testing and viral confirmation (in three sites). Results found substantially lower prevalence than previously reported for these countries compared with previous reports, suggesting that targeted integration of HCV screening in African HIV programs may be more impactful than routine screening.This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives License 4.0 (CCBY-NC-ND), where it is permissible to download and share the work provided it is properly cited. The work cannot be changed in any way or used commercially without permission from the journal. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0.
PublisherLippincott, Williams & Wilkins
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection among human immunodeficiency virus-1-infected pregnant women in Malawi: the BAN study.
- Authors: Chasela CS, Wall P, Drobeniuc J, King CC, Teshale E, Hosseinipour MC, Ellington SR, Codd M, Jamieson DJ, Knight RJ, Fitzpatrick P, Kourtis AP, Hoffman IF, Kayira D, Mumba N, Kamwendo DD, Martinson F, Powderly W, van der Horst C, Kamili S, BAN team.
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Presence of occult HBV, but near absence of active HBV and HCV infections in people infected with HIV in rural South Africa.
- Authors: Barth RE, Huijgen Q, Tempelman HA, Mudrikova T, Wensing AM, Hoepelman AI
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Hepatitis B/C and HIV in sub-Saharan Africa: an association between highly prevalent infectious diseases. A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Barth RE, Huijgen Q, Taljaard J, Hoepelman AI
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis B and C virus in HIV-1 and HIV-2 infected Gambians.
- Authors: Jobarteh M, Malfroy M, Peterson I, Jeng A, Sarge-Njie R, Alabi A, Peterson K, Cotten M, Hall A, Rowland-Jones S, Whittle H, Tedder R, Jaye A, Mendy M
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 15
- Prevalence of hepatitis C in an ethnically diverse HIV-1-infected cohort in south London.
- Authors: Mohsen AH, Murad S, Easterbrook PJ
- Issue date: 2005 May