Barriers to access to visceral leishmaniasis diagnosis and care among seasonal mobile workers in Western Tigray, Northern Ethiopia: A qualitative study
den Boer, M
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractEthiopia bears a high burden of visceral leishmaniasis (VL). Early access to VL diagnosis and care improves clinical prognosis and reduces transmission from infected humans; however, significant obstacles exist. The approximate 250,000 seasonal mobile workers (MW) employed annually in northwestern Ethiopia may be particularly disadvantaged and at risk of VL acquisition and death. Our study aimed to assess barriers, and recommend interventions to increase access, to VL diagnosis and care among MWs.
- Sero-prevalence of Leishmania donovani infection in labour migrants and entomological risk factors in extra-domestic habitats of Kafta-Humera lowlands - kala-azar endemic areas in the northwest Ethiopia.
- Authors: Lemma W, Tekie H, Yared S, Balkew M, Gebre-Michael T, Warburg A, Hailu A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 26
- Barriers of Visceral Leishmaniasis reporting and surveillance in Nepal: comparison of governmental VL-program districts with non-program districts.
- Authors: Lim D, Banjara MR, Singh VK, Joshi AB, Gurung CK, Das ML, Matlashewski G, Olliaro P, Kroeger A
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Risk factors for visceral Leishmaniasis among residents and migrants in Kafta-Humera, Ethiopia.
- Authors: Argaw D, Mulugeta A, Herrero M, Nombela N, Teklu T, Tefera T, Belew Z, Alvar J, Bern C
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- "<i>Kala-Azar is a Dishonest Disease</i>": Community Perspectives on Access Barriers to Visceral Leishmaniasis (Kala-Azar) Diagnosis and Care in Southern Gadarif, Sudan.
- Authors: Sunyoto T, Adam GK, Atia AM, Hamid Y, Babiker RA, Abdelrahman N, Vander Kelen C, Ritmeijer K, Alcoba G, den Boer M, Picado A, Boelaert M
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Visceral leishmaniasis in northern Ethiopia.
- Authors: Haile T, Anderson SD
- Issue date: 2006 Jul