Leave no one behind: response to new evidence and guidelines for the management of cryptococcal meningitis in low-income and middle-income countries
Van der Horst, C
van Oosterhout, J
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe Lancet. Infectious Diseases
AbstractIn 2018, WHO issued guidelines for the diagnosis, prevention, and management of HIV-related cryptococcal disease. Two strategies are recommended to reduce the high mortality associated with HIV-related cryptococcal meningitis in low-income and middle-income countries (LMICs): optimised combination therapies for confirmed meningitis cases and cryptococcal antigen screening programmes for ambulatory people living with HIV who access care. WHO's preferred therapy for the treatment of HIV-related cryptococcal meningitis in LMICs is 1 week of amphotericin B plus flucytosine, and the alternative therapy is 2 weeks of fluconazole plus flucytosine. In the ACTA trial, 1-week (short course) amphotericin B plus flucytosine resulted in a 10-week mortality of 24% (95% CI -16 to 32) and 2 weeks of fluconazole and flucytosine resulted in a 10-week mortality of 35% (95% CI -29 to 41). However, with widely used fluconazole monotherapy, mortality because of HIV-related cryptococcal meningitis is approximately 70% in many African LMIC settings. Therefore, the potential to transform the management of HIV-related cryptococcal meningitis in resource-limited settings is substantial. Sustainable access to essential medicines, including flucytosine and amphotericin B, in LMICs is paramount and the focus of this Personal View.
- Antifungal Combinations for Treatment of Cryptococcal Meningitis in Africa.
- Authors: Molloy SF, Kanyama C, Heyderman RS, Loyse A, Kouanfack C, Chanda D, Mfinanga S, Temfack E, Lakhi S, Lesikari S, Chan AK, Stone N, Kalata N, Karunaharan N, Gaskell K, Peirse M, Ellis J, Chawinga C, Lontsi S, Ndong JG, Bright P, Lupiya D, Chen T, Bradley J, Adams J, van der Horst C, van Oosterhout JJ, Sini V, Mapoure YN, Mwaba P, Bicanic T, Lalloo DG, Wang D, Hosseinipour MC, Lortholary O, Jaffar S, Harrison TS, ACTA Trial Study Team.
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 15
- Treatment for HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis.
- Authors: Tenforde MW, Shapiro AE, Rouse B, Jarvis JN, Li T, Eshun-Wilson I, Ford N
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 25
- Treatment of acute cryptococcal meningitis in HIV infected adults, with an emphasis on resource-limited settings.
- Authors: Sloan D, Dlamini S, Paul N, Dedicoat M
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 8
- Practice guidelines for the management of cryptococcal disease. Infectious Diseases Society of America.
- Authors: Saag MS, Graybill RJ, Larsen RA, Pappas PG, Perfect JR, Powderly WG, Sobel JD, Dismukes WE
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Cryptococcal Meningitis Treatment Strategies Affected by the Explosive Cost of Flucytosine in the United States: A Cost-effectiveness Analysis.
- Authors: Merry M, Boulware DR
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 15