Dual Screen and Confirm Rapid Test Does Not Reduce Overtreatment of Syphilis in Pregnant Women Living in a Non-venereal treponematoses Endemic Region: a Field Evaluation Among Antenatal Care Attendees in Burkina Faso
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSexually Transmitted Infections
AbstractIn resource-limited settings, screening pregnant women for syphilis using rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) is a key tool in the prevention of congenital syphilis. However, most syphilis RDTs detect only treponemal antibodies (T-RDT), meaning antibiotics may be provided unnecessarily to previously treated pregnant women, particularly in non-venereal treponematoses endemic regions. We estimated the potential reduction in overtreatment when comparing T-RDT (SD Bioline) to a newer rapid test (Dual Path Platform (DPP) Screen and Confirm Assay, Chembio) detecting both treponemal and non-treponemal antibodies.
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
- Sensitivity and specificity of a rapid point-of-care test for active yaws: a comparative study.
- Authors: Ayove T, Houniei W, Wangnapi R, Bieb SV, Kazadi W, Luke LN, Manineng C, Moses P, Paru R, Esfandiari J, Alonso PL, de Lazzari E, Bassat Q, Mabey D, Mitjà O
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Clinic-based evaluation study of the diagnostic accuracy of a dual rapid test for the screening of HIV and syphilis in pregnant women in Nigeria.
- Authors: Olugbenga I, Taiwo O, Laverty M, Ngige E, Anyaike C, Bakare R, Ogunleye V, Peterson Maddox BL, Newman DR, Gliddon HD, Ofondu E, Nurse-Findlay S, Taylor MM
- Issue date: 2018
- Field evaluation of two point-of-care tests for syphilis among men who have sex with men, Verona, Italy.
- Authors: Zorzi A, Cordioli M, Gios L, Del Bravo P, Toskin I, Peeling RW, Blondeel K, Cornaglia G, Kiarie J, Ballard R, Mirandola M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Sensitivity and specificity of point-of-care rapid combination syphilis-HIV-HCV tests.
- Authors: Hess KL, Fisher DG, Reynolds GL
- Issue date: 2014
- Laboratory evaluation of the Chembio Dual Path Platform HIV-Syphilis Assay.
- Authors: Kalou MB, Castro A, Watson A, Jost H, Clay S, Tun Y, Chen C, Karem K, Nkengasong JN, Ballard R, Parekh B
- Issue date: 2016