Dual Screen and Confirm Rapid Test Does Not Reduce Overtreatment of Syphilis in Pregnant Women Living in a Non-venereal treponematoses Endemic Region: a Field Evaluation Among Antenatal Care Attendees in Burkina Faso
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSexually Transmitted Infections
AbstractIn resource-limited settings, screening pregnant women for syphilis using rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) is a key tool in the prevention of congenital syphilis. However, most syphilis RDTs detect only treponemal antibodies (T-RDT), meaning antibiotics may be provided unnecessarily to previously treated pregnant women, particularly in non-venereal treponematoses endemic regions. We estimated the potential reduction in overtreatment when comparing T-RDT (SD Bioline) to a newer rapid test (Dual Path Platform (DPP) Screen and Confirm Assay, Chembio) detecting both treponemal and non-treponemal antibodies.
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
- Clinic-based evaluation study of the diagnostic accuracy of a dual rapid test for the screening of HIV and syphilis in pregnant women in Nigeria.
- Authors: Olugbenga I, Taiwo O, Laverty M, Ngige E, Anyaike C, Bakare R, Ogunleye V, Peterson Maddox BL, Newman DR, Gliddon HD, Ofondu E, Nurse-Findlay S, Taylor MM
- Issue date: 2018
- [Assessment of the congenital syphilis prevention programs].
- Authors: Daoud M, Duca E, Onofriescu M, Petrescu Z
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Sep
- Cost-effectiveness of a dual non-treponemal/treponemal syphilis point-of-care test to prevent adverse pregnancy outcomes in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Owusu-Edusei K Jr, Gift TL, Ballard RC
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Field performance evaluation of dual rapid HIV and syphilis tests in three antenatal care clinics in Zambia.
- Authors: Kasaro MP, Bosomprah S, Taylor MM, Sindano N, Phiri C, Tambatamba B, Malumo S, Freeman B, Chibwe B, Laverty M, Owiredu MN, Newman L, Sikazwe I
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Importance of extending the use of polymerase chain reaction in the diagnosis of venereal syphilis in a blood transfusion center in Burkina Faso, West Africa.
- Authors: Simpore A, Bisseye C, Nagalo BM, Sanou M, Nébié Y, Ghoma-Linguissi LS, Dahourou H, Sawadogo B, Djigma F, Ouattara S, Pietra V, Nichol J, Simpore J
- Issue date: 2014