Field Evaluation of Near Point of Care Cepheid GeneXpert HIV-1 Qual for Early Infant Diagnosis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAccess to point-of-care HIV testing shortens turn-around times, time to diagnosis and reduces loss to follow-up hence minimizing barriers to early linkage to care and treatment among HIV infected infants. Currently samples for early infant HIV diagnosis are sent to centralized testing facilities which are few and located only at specific regions in Kenya. However, there are Point of Care (POC) early infant diagnosis [EID] technologies elsewhere such as SAMBA and ALERE-Q that are yet to be evaluated in Kenya despite the urgent need for data to inform policy formulation regarding EID. The Cepheid GeneXpert HIV-1 Qual (GeneXpert) technology for POC EID offers a great opportunity to minimize HIV associated morbidity, mortality and loss to follow-up through decentralization of early infant HIV testing to the clinics. This technology also allows for same-day results thus facilitating prompt linkage to care.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Laboratory Evaluation of the Alere q Point-of-Care System for Early Infant HIV Diagnosis.
- Authors: Hsiao NY, Dunning L, Kroon M, Myer L
- Issue date: 2016
- Systematic review of the performance and clinical utility of point of care HIV-1 RNA testing for diagnosis and care.
- Authors: Agutu CA, Ngetsa CJ, Price MA, Rinke de Wit TF, Omosa-Manyonyi G, Sanders EJ, Graham SM
- Issue date: 2019
- Multidisease testing for HIV and TB using the GeneXpert platform: A feasibility study in rural Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Ndlovu Z, Fajardo E, Mbofana E, Maparo T, Garone D, Metcalf C, Bygrave H, Kao K, Zinyowera S
- Issue date: 2018
- Evaluation of a routine point-of-care intervention for early infant diagnosis of HIV: an observational study in eight African countries.
- Authors: Bianchi F, Cohn J, Sacks E, Bailey R, Lemaire JF, Machekano R, EGPAF POC EID Study Team.
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Performance of an Early Infant Diagnostic Test, AmpliSens DNA-HIV-FRT, Using Dried Blood Spots Collected from Children Born to Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Mothers in Ukraine.
- Authors: Chang J, Tarasova T, Shanmugam V, Azarskova M, Nguyen S, Hurlston M, Sabatier J, Zhang G, Osmanov S, Ellenberger D, Yang C, Vitek C, Liulchuk M, Nizova N
- Issue date: 2015 Dec