Mortality in the first six months among HIV-positive and HIV-negative patients empirically treated for tuberculosis.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC infectious diseases
AbstractEmpirical treatment of tuberculosis (TB) may be necessary in patients with negative or no Xpert MTB/RIF results. In a context with access to Xpert, we assessed mortality in the 6 months after the initial TB consultation among HIV-positive and HIV-negative patients who received empirical TB treatment or TB treatment based on bacteriological confirmation and we compared it with the mortality among those who did not receive TB treatment.
- Evaluation of gene xpert for routine diagnosis of HIV-associated tuberculosis in Nigeria: A prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Akanbi MO, Achenbach C, Taiwo B, Idoko J, Ani A, Isa Y, Agbaji O, Ukoli C, Akande P, Maiga M, Murphy RL
- Issue date: 2017 May 30
- Incremental Yield of Including Determine-TB LAM Assay in Diagnostic Algorithms for Hospitalized and Ambulatory HIV-Positive Patients in Kenya.
- Authors: Huerga H, Ferlazzo G, Bevilacqua P, Kirubi B, Ardizzoni E, Wanjala S, Sitienei J, Bonnet M
- Issue date: 2017
- Time delay and associated mortality from negative smear to positive Xpert MTB/RIF test among TB/HIV patients: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Lisboa M, Fronteira I, Colove E, Nhamonga M, Martins MDRO
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 7
- Intensified tuberculosis case-finding in HIV-positive adults managed at Ethiopian health centers: diagnostic yield of Xpert MTB/RIF compared with smear microscopy and liquid culture.
- Authors: Balcha TT, Sturegård E, Winqvist N, Skogmar S, Reepalu A, Jemal ZH, Tibesso G, Schön T, Björkman P
- Issue date: 2014
- Burden of tuberculosis in intensive care units in Cape Town, South Africa, and assessment of the accuracy and effect on patient outcomes of the Xpert MTB/RIF test on tracheal aspirate samples for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a prospective burden of disease study with a nested randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Calligaro GL, Theron G, Khalfey H, Peter J, Meldau R, Matinyenya B, Davids M, Smith L, Pooran A, Lesosky M, Esmail A, Miller MG, Piercy J, Michell L, Dawson R, Raine RI, Joubert I, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2015 Aug