"Even if she's really sick at home, she will pretend that everything is fine.": Delays in seeking care and treatment for advanced HIV disease in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHIV prevalence in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is estimated to be 1.2%, and access to HIV testing and treatment remains low across the country. Despite advances in treatment, HIV continues to be one of the main reasons for hospitalisation and death in low- and middle-income countries, including DRC, but the reasons why people delay seeking health-care when they are extremely sick remain little understood. People in Kinshasa, DRC, continue to present to health-care facilities in an advanced stage of HIV when they are close to death and needing intensive treatment.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- "If I have nothing to eat, I get angry and push the pills bottle away from me": A qualitative study of patient determinants of adherence to antiretroviral therapy in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Musumari PM, Feldman MD, Techasrivichien T, Wouters E, Ono-Kihara M, Kihara M
- Issue date: 2013
- Impact of the implementation of new guidelines on the management of patients with HIV infection at an advanced HIV clinic in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
- Authors: Mangana F, Massaquoi LD, Moudachirou R, Harrison R, Kaluangila T, Mucinya G, Ntabugi N, Van Cutsem G, Burton R, Isaakidis P
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 7
- The process of HIV status disclosure to HIV-positive youth in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Authors: Vaz L, Corneli A, Dulyx J, Rennie S, Omba S, Kitetele F, AD Research Group., Behets F
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Antiretroviral treatment program retention among HIV-infected children in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Ditekemena J, Luhata C, Bonane W, Kiumbu M, Tshefu A, Colebunders R, Koole O
- Issue date: 2014
- Brief Report: Decentralizing ART Supply for Stable HIV Patients to Community-Based Distribution Centers: Program Outcomes From an Urban Context in Kinshasa, DRC.
- Authors: Vogt F, Kalenga L, Lukela J, Salumu F, Diallo I, Nico E, Lampart E, Van den Bergh R, Shah S, Ogundahunsi O, Zachariah R, Van Griensven J
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1