Severe post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis successfully treated with miltefosine in an Ethiopian HIV patient.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPost-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) is a neglected tropical disease characterized by a dermatosis which often appears after successful treatment of visceral leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania donovani. PKDL treatment options are few and have severe limitations. In East- Africa, the standard treatment of PKDL is with daily painful potentially toxic sodium stibogluconate injections, administered for a prolonged duration of 30-60 days. In the Indian subcontinent, PKDL is mainly treated with miltefosine, a safer orally administered drug. However, in East-Africa, there is very limited experience in the use of miltefosine for treatment of severe PKDL, with only one published case report. Here we report a severe PKDL case in an Ethiopian HIV patient successfully treated with oral miltefosine (100 milligrams/day for 28 days). Miltefosine was efficacious, safe and well tolerated, suggesting that it can play an important role in the treatment of severe PKDL also in East-African patients. Further research is warranted.
- Cure of antimony-unresponsive Indian post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis with oral miltefosine.
- Authors: Sundar S, Kumar K, Chakravarty J, Agrawal D, Agrawal S, Chhabra A, Singh V
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Successful miltefosine treatment of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis occurring during antiretroviral therapy.
- Authors: Belay AD, Asafa Y, Mesure J, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Short report: Development of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) in miltefosine-treated visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Das VN, Pandey K, Verma N, Lal CS, Bimal S, Topno RK, Singh D, Siddiqui NA, Verma RB, Das P
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Inadequacy of 12-Week Miltefosine Treatment for Indian Post-Kala-Azar Dermal Leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Ghosh S, Das NK, Mukherjee S, Mukhopadhyay D, Barbhuiya JN, Hazra A, Chatterjee M
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Successful treatment of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) in a HIV infected patient with multiple relapsing leishmaniasis from Western Europe.
- Authors: Rihl M, Stoll M, Ulbricht K, Bange FC, Schmidt RE
- Issue date: 2006 Jul