Severe post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis successfully treated with miltefosine in an Ethiopian HIV patient.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPost-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) is a neglected tropical disease characterized by a dermatosis which often appears after successful treatment of visceral leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania donovani. PKDL treatment options are few and have severe limitations. In East- Africa, the standard treatment of PKDL is with daily painful potentially toxic sodium stibogluconate injections, administered for a prolonged duration of 30-60 days. In the Indian subcontinent, PKDL is mainly treated with miltefosine, a safer orally administered drug. However, in East-Africa, there is very limited experience in the use of miltefosine for treatment of severe PKDL, with only one published case report. Here we report a severe PKDL case in an Ethiopian HIV patient successfully treated with oral miltefosine (100 milligrams/day for 28 days). Miltefosine was efficacious, safe and well tolerated, suggesting that it can play an important role in the treatment of severe PKDL also in East-African patients. Further research is warranted.
- Post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis in the Indian subcontinent: A threat to the South-East Asia Region Kala-azar Elimination Programme.
- Authors: Zijlstra EE, Alves F, Rijal S, Arana B, Alvar J
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis developing in miltefosine-treated visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Koley S, Mandal RK, Choudhary S, Bandyopadhyay A
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Short report: Development of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis (PKDL) in miltefosine-treated visceral leishmaniasis.
- Authors: Das VN, Pandey K, Verma N, Lal CS, Bimal S, Topno RK, Singh D, Siddiqui NA, Verma RB, Das P
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Successful miltefosine treatment of post-kala-azar dermal leishmaniasis occurring during antiretroviral therapy.
- Authors: Belay AD, Asafa Y, Mesure J, Davidson RN
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Miltefosine Induced Reduced Male Fertility Capacity after Treatment of Post Kala-azar Dermal Leishmaniasis, Bangladesh.
- Authors: Basher A, Rashid MM, Habibullah AM, Nath R, Akter D, Chowdhury IH, Azim A, Nath P, Faiz MA
- Issue date: 2019 Apr