Programmatic outcomes and impact of rapid public sector antiretroviral therapy expansion in adults prior to introduction of the WHO treat-all approach in rural Eswatini.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo assess long-term antiretroviral therapy (ART) outcomes during rapid HIV programme expansion in the public sector of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland). This is a retrospectively established cohort of HIV-positive adults (≥16 years) who started first-line ART in 25 health facilities in Shiselweni (Eswatini) between 01/2006 and 12/2014. Temporal trends in ART attrition, treatment expansion and ART coverage were described over 9 years. We used flexible parametric survival models to assess the relationship between time to ART attrition and covariates. Of 24 772 ART initiations, 6% (n = 1488) occurred in 2006, vs. 13% (n = 3192) in 2014. Between these years, median CD4 cell count at ART initiation increased (113-265 cells/mm Programmatic outcomes improved during large expansion of the treatment cohort and increased ART coverage. Changes in ART programming may have contributed to better outcomes.
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons
- Decreased risk of HIV-associated TB during antiretroviral therapy expansion in rural Eswatini from 2009 to 2016: a cohort and population-based analysis.
- Authors: Kerschberger B, Schomaker M, Telnov A, Vambe D, Kisyeri N, Sikhondze W, Pasipamire L, Ngwenya SM, Rusch B, Ciglenecki I, Boulle A
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Feasibility of antiretroviral therapy initiation under the treat-all policy under routine conditions: a prospective cohort study from Eswatini.
- Authors: Kerschberger B, Jobanputra K, Schomaker M, Kabore SM, Teck R, Mabhena E, Lukhele N, Rusch B, Boulle A, Ciglenecki I
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Factors associated with long-term antiretroviral therapy attrition among adolescents in rural Uganda: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Okoboi S, Ssali L, Yansaneh AI, Bakanda C, Birungi J, Nantume S, Okullu JL, Sharp AR, Moore DM, Kalibala S
- Issue date: 2016
- Patient retention, clinical outcomes and attrition-associated factors of HIV-infected patients enrolled in Zimbabwe's National Antiretroviral Therapy Programme, 2007-2010.
- Authors: Mutasa-Apollo T, Shiraishi RW, Takarinda KC, Dzangare J, Mugurungi O, Murungu J, Abdul-Quader A, Woodfill CJ
- Issue date: 2014
- Retention on antiretroviral therapy during Universal Test and Treat implementation in Zomba district, Malawi: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Alhaj M, Amberbir A, Singogo E, Banda V, van Lettow M, Matengeni A, Kawalazira G, Theu J, Jagriti MR, Chan AK, van Oosterhout JJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb