Programmatic outcomes and impact of rapid public sector antiretroviral therapy expansion in adults prior to introduction of the WHO treat-all approach in rural Eswatini.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo assess long-term antiretroviral therapy (ART) outcomes during rapid HIV programme expansion in the public sector of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland). This is a retrospectively established cohort of HIV-positive adults (≥16 years) who started first-line ART in 25 health facilities in Shiselweni (Eswatini) between 01/2006 and 12/2014. Temporal trends in ART attrition, treatment expansion and ART coverage were described over 9 years. We used flexible parametric survival models to assess the relationship between time to ART attrition and covariates. Of 24 772 ART initiations, 6% (n = 1488) occurred in 2006, vs. 13% (n = 3192) in 2014. Between these years, median CD4 cell count at ART initiation increased (113-265 cells/mm Programmatic outcomes improved during large expansion of the treatment cohort and increased ART coverage. Changes in ART programming may have contributed to better outcomes.
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons
- HIV programmatic outcomes following implementation of the 'Treat-All' policy in a public sector setting in Eswatini: a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Kerschberger B, Schomaker M, Jobanputra K, Kabore SM, Teck R, Mabhena E, Mthethwa-Hleza S, Rusch B, Ciglenecki I, Boulle A
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Feasibility of antiretroviral therapy initiation under the treat-all policy under routine conditions: a prospective cohort study from Eswatini.
- Authors: Kerschberger B, Jobanputra K, Schomaker M, Kabore SM, Teck R, Mabhena E, Lukhele N, Rusch B, Boulle A, Ciglenecki I
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Decreased risk of HIV-associated TB during antiretroviral therapy expansion in rural Eswatini from 2009 to 2016: a cohort and population-based analysis.
- Authors: Kerschberger B, Schomaker M, Telnov A, Vambe D, Kisyeri N, Sikhondze W, Pasipamire L, Ngwenya SM, Rusch B, Ciglenecki I, Boulle A
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Patient-mix, programmatic characteristics, retention and predictors of attrition among patients starting antiretroviral therapy (ART) before and after the implementation of HIV "Treat All" in Zimbabwe.
- Authors: Makurumidze R, Buyze J, Decroo T, Lynen L, de Rooij M, Mataranyika T, Sithole N, Takarinda KC, Apollo T, Hakim J, Van Damme W, Rusakaniko S
- Issue date: 2020
- Factors associated with long-term antiretroviral therapy attrition among adolescents in rural Uganda: a retrospective study.
- Authors: Okoboi S, Ssali L, Yansaneh AI, Bakanda C, Birungi J, Nantume S, Okullu JL, Sharp AR, Moore DM, Kalibala S
- Issue date: 2016