Novel Approaches to Control Malaria in Forested Areas of Southeast Asia.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalTrends in Parasitology
AbstractThe emergence and spread of drug resistance in the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) have added urgency to accelerate malaria elimination while reducing the treatment options. The remaining foci of malaria transmission are often in forests, where vectors tend to bite during daytime and outdoors, thus reducing the effectiveness of insecticide-treated bed nets. Limited periods of exposure suggest that chemoprophylaxis could be a promising strategy to protect forest workers against malaria. Here we discuss three major questions in optimizing malaria chemoprophylaxis for forest workers: which antimalarial drug regimens are most appropriate, how frequently the chemoprophylaxis should be delivered, and how to motivate forest workers to use, and adhere to, malaria prophylaxis.
- How can interventions that target forest-goers be tailored to accelerate malaria elimination in the Greater Mekong Subregion? A systematic review of the qualitative literature.
- Authors: Nofal SD, Peto TJ, Adhikari B, Tripura R, Callery J, Bui TM, von Seidlein L, Pell C
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 1
- Malaria in the Greater Mekong Subregion: heterogeneity and complexity.
- Authors: Cui L, Yan G, Sattabongkot J, Cao Y, Chen B, Chen X, Fan Q, Fang Q, Jongwutiwes S, Parker D, Sirichaisinthop J, Kyaw MP, Su XZ, Yang H, Yang Z, Wang B, Xu J, Zheng B, Zhong D, Zhou G
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- The impact of targeted malaria elimination with mass drug administrations on falciparum malaria in Southeast Asia: A cluster randomised trial.
- Authors: von Seidlein L, Peto TJ, Landier J, Nguyen TN, Tripura R, Phommasone K, Pongvongsa T, Lwin KM, Keereecharoen L, Kajeechiwa L, Thwin MM, Parker DM, Wiladphaingern J, Nosten S, Proux S, Corbel V, Tuong-Vy N, Phuc-Nhi TL, Son DH, Huong-Thu PN, Tuyen NTK, Tien NT, Dong LT, Hue DV, Quang HH, Nguon C, Davoeung C, Rekol H, Adhikari B, Henriques G, Phongmany P, Suangkanarat P, Jeeyapant A, Vihokhern B, van der Pluijm RW, Lubell Y, White LJ, Aguas R, Promnarate C, Sirithiranont P, Malleret B, Rénia L, Onsjö C, Chan XH, Chalk J, Miotto O, Patumrat K, Chotivanich K, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Jittmala P, Kaehler N, Cheah PY, Pell C, Dhorda M, Imwong M, Snounou G, Mukaka M, Peerawaranun P, Lee SJ, Simpson JA, Pukrittayakamee S, Singhasivanon P, Grobusch MP, Cobelens F, Smithuis F, Newton PN, Thwaites GE, Day NPJ, Mayxay M, Hien TT, Nosten FH, Dondorp AM, White NJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Deviance and resistance: Malaria elimination in the greater Mekong subregion.
- Authors: Lyttleton C
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Malaria Surveillance - United States, 2015.
- Authors: Mace KE, Arguin PM, Tan KR
- Issue date: 2018 May 4