Female Genital Schistosomiasis and HIV: Research Urgently Needed to Improve Understanding of the Health Impacts of This Important Coinfection
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJ Acquir Immune Defic Syndr
AbstractEvidence suggests that there are important interactions between HIV and female genital schistosomiasis (FGS) that may have significant effects on individual and population health. However, the exact way they interact and the health impacts of the interactions are not well understood. In this article, we discuss what is known about the interactions between FGS and HIV, and the potential impact of the interactions. This includes the likelihood that FGS is an important health problem for HIV-positive women in Schistosoma-endemic areas potentially associated with an increased risk of mortality, cancer, and infertility. In addition, it may be significantly impacting the HIV epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa by making young women more susceptible to HIV. We call for immediate action and argue that research is urgently required to address these knowledge gaps and propose a research agenda to achieve this.
PublisherLippincott Williams and Wilkins
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Cervicovaginal Immune Activation in Zambian Women With Female Genital Schistosomiasis.
- Authors: Sturt AS, Webb EL, Patterson C, Phiri CR, Mweene T, Kjetland EF, Mudenda M, Mapani J, Mutengo MM, Chipeta J, van Dam GJ, Corstjens PLAM, Ayles H, Hayes RJ, Hansingo I, Cools P, van Lieshout L, Helmby H, McComsey GA, Francis SC, Bustinduy AL
- Issue date: 2021
- Evaluating the potential impact of mass praziquantel administration for HIV prevention in Schistosoma haematobium high-risk communities.
- Authors: Ndeffo Mbah ML, Gilbert JA, Galvani AP
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Female genital schistosomiasis: facts and hypotheses.
- Authors: Poggensee G, Feldmeier H
- Issue date: 2001 Jun 22
- The first step toward diagnosing female genital schistosomiasis by computer image analysis.
- Authors: Holmen SD, Kleppa E, Lillebø K, Pillay P, van Lieshout L, Taylor M, Albregtsen F, Vennervald BJ, Onsrud M, Kjetland EF
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Association Between Schistosoma haematobium Exposure and Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection Among Females in Mozambique.
- Authors: Brodish PH, Singh K
- Issue date: 2016 May 4