Further evidence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the sputum of culture-negative pulmonary tuberculosis suspects using an ultrasensitive molecular assay.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Rapid diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) is critical to TB control. However, many patients with paucibacillary TB disease remain undiagnosed. Current TB elimination goals require new tools to diagnose early disease. We evaluated performance of the Totally Optimized PCR (TOP) TB assay, a novel ultrasensitive molecular test. METHODS: We assessed analytical specificity against nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), and estimated the diagnostic accuracy of TOP in a pilot study in Brazil (n = 46) and a cross-sectional study in Boston (n = 60). We compared TOP results to culture and a composite reference standard (CRS). RESULTS: TOP exhibited no cross-reactivity against NTM. We tested 132 respiratory specimens from 106 patients with suspected pulmonary TB. The pilot demonstrated feasibility and 100% (95% CI 85-100) sensitivity in predominantly smear-positive specimens; TOP's specificity against solid media culture was low (58%, 37-77) but improved against a CRS (93%, 68-100). Similarly, when using the CRS in the Boston study, TOP (88%, 1-99) had greater sensitivity than solid or liquid media culture (25%, 3-65) and similar specificity (both 100%, 93-100). CONCLUSIONS: The TOP assay enables detection of M. tuberculosis in culture-negative paucibacillary disease. While the use of TOP for the diagnosis of paucibacillary disease will require further clinical validation, its high sensitivity indicate a more immediate utility as a rule out TB test.
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Detection and Quantification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the Sputum of Culture-Negative HIV-infected Pulmonary Tuberculosis Suspects: A Proof-of-Concept Study.
- Authors: Madico G, Mpeirwe M, White L, Vinhas S, Orr B, Orikiriza P, Miller NS, Gaeddert M, Mwanga-Amumpaire J, Palaci M, Kreiswirth B, Straight J, Dietze R, Boum Y 2nd, Jones-López EC
- Issue date: 2016
- A novel automatic molecular test for detection of multidrug resistance tuberculosis in sputum specimen: A case control study.
- Authors: Li Q, Ou XC, Pang Y, Xia H, Huang HR, Zhao B, Wang SF, Zhao YL
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Differentiation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex from non-tubercular mycobacteria by nested multiplex PCR targeting IS6110, MTP40 and 32kD alpha antigen encoding gene fragments.
- Authors: Sinha P, Gupta A, Prakash P, Anupurba S, Tripathi R, Srivastava GN
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 12
- The New Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra: Improving Detection of <i>Mycobacterium tuberculosis</i> and Resistance to Rifampin in an Assay Suitable for Point-of-Care Testing.
- Authors: Chakravorty S, Simmons AM, Rowneki M, Parmar H, Cao Y, Ryan J, Banada PP, Deshpande S, Shenai S, Gall A, Glass J, Krieswirth B, Schumacher SG, Nabeta P, Tukvadze N, Rodrigues C, Skrahina A, Tagliani E, Cirillo DM, Davidow A, Denkinger CM, Persing D, Kwiatkowski R, Jones M, Alland D
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 29
- Clinical diagnostic performance of the simultaneous amplification and testing methods for detection of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex for smear-negative or sputum-scarce pulmonary tuberculosis in China.
- Authors: Fan L, Zhang Q, Cheng L, Liu Z, Ji X, Cui Z, Ju J, Xiao H
- Issue date: 2014