Outcomes of Bedaquiline Treatment in Patients with Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractBedaquiline is recommended by the World Health Organization for the treatment of multidrug-resistant (MDR) and extensively drug-resistant (XDR) tuberculosis (TB). We pooled data from 5 cohorts of patients treated with bedaquiline in France, Georgia, Armenia, and South Africa and in a multicountry study. The rate of culture conversion to negative at 6 months (by the end of 6 months of treatment) was 78% (95% CI 73.5%-81.9%), and the treatment success rate was 65.8% (95% CI 59.9%-71.3%). Death rate was 11.7% (95% CI 7.0%-19.1%). Up to 91.1% (95% CI 82.2%-95.8%) of the patients experienced >1 adverse event, and 11.2% (95% CI 5.0%-23.2%) experienced a serious adverse event. Lung cavitations were consistently associated with unfavorable outcomes. The use of bedaquiline in MDR and XDR TB treatment regimens appears to be effective and safe across different settings, although the certainty of evidence was assessed as very low.
- Bedaquiline in the multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment: Belarus experience.
- Authors: Skrahina A, Hurevich H, Falzon D, Zhilevich L, Rusovich V, Dara M, Setkina S
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Provisional CDC guidelines for the use and safety monitoring of bedaquiline fumarate (Sirturo) for the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 25
- Incremental Cost Effectiveness of Bedaquiline for the Treatment of Rifampicin-Resistant Tuberculosis in South Africa: Model-Based Analysis.
- Authors: Schnippel K, Firnhaber C, Conradie F, Ndjeka N, Sinanovic E
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Bedaquiline in the treatment of multidrug- and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Pym AS, Diacon AH, Tang SJ, Conradie F, Danilovits M, Chuchottaworn C, Vasilyeva I, Andries K, Bakare N, De Marez T, Haxaire-Theeuwes M, Lounis N, Meyvisch P, Van Baelen B, van Heeswijk RP, Dannemann B, TMC207-C209 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Bedaquiline for the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: great promise or disappointment?
- Authors: Field SK
- Issue date: 2015 Jul