Outcomes of Bedaquiline Treatment in Patients with Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractBedaquiline is recommended by the World Health Organization for the treatment of multidrug-resistant (MDR) and extensively drug-resistant (XDR) tuberculosis (TB). We pooled data from 5 cohorts of patients treated with bedaquiline in France, Georgia, Armenia, and South Africa and in a multicountry study. The rate of culture conversion to negative at 6 months (by the end of 6 months of treatment) was 78% (95% CI 73.5%-81.9%), and the treatment success rate was 65.8% (95% CI 59.9%-71.3%). Death rate was 11.7% (95% CI 7.0%-19.1%). Up to 91.1% (95% CI 82.2%-95.8%) of the patients experienced >1 adverse event, and 11.2% (95% CI 5.0%-23.2%) experienced a serious adverse event. Lung cavitations were consistently associated with unfavorable outcomes. The use of bedaquiline in MDR and XDR TB treatment regimens appears to be effective and safe across different settings, although the certainty of evidence was assessed as very low.
- Identification of patients who could benefit from bedaquiline or delamanid: a multisite MDR-TB cohort study.
- Authors: Bonnet M, Bastard M, du Cros P, Khamraev A, Kimenye K, Khurkhumal S, Hayrapetyan A, Themba D, Telnov A, Sanchez-Padilla E, Hewison C, Varaine F
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Bedaquiline in the treatment of multidrug- and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Pym AS, Diacon AH, Tang SJ, Conradie F, Danilovits M, Chuchottaworn C, Vasilyeva I, Andries K, Bakare N, De Marez T, Haxaire-Theeuwes M, Lounis N, Meyvisch P, Van Baelen B, van Heeswijk RP, Dannemann B, TMC207-C209 Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Combined Use of Delamanid and Bedaquiline to Treat Multidrug-Resistant and Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis: A Systematic Review.
- Authors: Migliori GB, Pontali E, Sotgiu G, Centis R, D'Ambrosio L, Tiberi S, Tadolini M, Esposito S
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 7
- Compassionate use of bedaquiline for the treatment of multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: interim analysis of a French cohort.
- Authors: Guglielmetti L, Le Dû D, Jachym M, Henry B, Martin D, Caumes E, Veziris N, Métivier N, Robert J, MDR-TB Management Group of the French National Reference Center for Mycobacteria and the Physicians of the French MDR-TB Cohort.
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 15
- Provisional CDC guidelines for the use and safety monitoring of bedaquiline fumarate (Sirturo) for the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 25