The STREAM trial: missed opportunities and lessons for future clinical trials.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalLancet Infectious Diseases
AbstractFinal results of the STREAM trial were presented at the 2018, 49th Union World Conference on Lung Health, held in The Hague, The Netherlands. STREAM is a randomised controlled trial comparing the 18–24 month WHO-recommended multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) treatment regimen with a 9–12 month regimen similar to that first described in Bangladesh. 1 Under programmatic conditions, the longer regimen results in treatment success for approximately 50% of patients, 2 whereas the shorter 9–12 month regimen improved treatment success to 80% or higher in selected countries. 3 , 4 Because these countries had relatively low HIV prevalence and relatively high percentages of treatment success with the longer regimens, questions around generalisability were raised. 4 STREAM was a multi-million dollar undertaking that took almost 10 years from the time of study design until the release of final results. Given the time and costs involved it is essential to reflect on lessons learned, and what the trial results tell us to inform how we accumulate future evidence to guide MDR-TB treatment.
- Studies of missed opportunities for immunization in developing and industrialized countries.
- Authors: Hutchins SS, Jansen HA, Robertson SE, Evans P, Kim-Farley RJ
- Issue date: 1993
- Using the 4 pillars™ practice transformation program to increase adult influenza vaccination and reduce missed opportunities in a randomized cluster trial.
- Authors: Lin CJ, Nowalk MP, Pavlik VN, Brown AE, Zhang S, Raviotta JM, Moehling KK, Hawk M, Ricci EM, Middleton DB, Patel S, South-Paul JE, Zimmerman RK
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 3
- Use of patient-reported outcomes in phase III cancer treatment trials: lessons learned and future directions.
- Authors: Ganz PA, Gotay CC
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 10
- Evidence Brief: Comparative Effectiveness of Appointment Recall Reminder Procedures for Follow-up Appointments
- Authors: Peterson K, McCleery E, Anderson J, Waldrip K, Helfand M
- Issue date: 2011
- Lessons learned from the development of a new methodology to assess missed opportunities for vaccination in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Authors: Velandia-González M, Trumbo SP, Díaz-Ortega JL, Bravo-Alcántara P, Danovaro-Holliday MC, Dietz V, Ruiz-Matus C
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 21