Pattern of skin diseases in children attending a dermatology clinic in a referral hospital in Wolaita Sodo, southern Ethiopia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEpidemiological studies to determine the pattern of skin diseases among children are important for proper health care planning and management. The purpose of this study was to describe the pattern of skin diseases among pediatric patients seen at a dermatology outpatient clinic of Wolaita Sodo Teaching and Referral Hospital, southern Ethiopia. We conducted a retrospective hospital-based, cross-sectional study between January 2016 and December 2017 at a teaching and referral hospital dermatology outpatient department. All children younger than 15 years presenting with newly-diagnosed skin diseases were included. Diagnosis was mainly made clinically, with some laboratory support. A total of 1704 children with 1869 new skin diagnoses were included, of whom 139 (8.2%) had more than one disease. Of the children, 52.4% were males and 44.9% within the age-group 5-10 years. Eczematous dermatitis accounted for the largest group (23.9%, n = 447) of skin conditions followed by bacterial infections (21.3%, n = 398), fungal infections (18.8%, n = 351) and infestations (9.9%, n = 185). Seasonal variation was demonstrated, with eczematous conditions and bacterial infections being higher during autumn and winter. Overall, eczema, bacterial and fungal infections were the three major pediatric skin diseases occurring among children attending this hospital's outpatient department. There was seasonal variation in some of the skin diseases. This study gives a snapshot of skin disorders presenting to hospital in children in southern Ethiopia and may help to plan dermatology service expansion, educational programs and preventive measures.
- Pattern of skin diseases amongst children attending a dermatology clinic in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Authors: Ayanlowo O, Puddicombe O, Gold-Olufadi S
- Issue date: 2018
- Pattern of paediatric dermatoses at dermatology clinics in Ile-Ife and Ilesha, Nigeria.
- Authors: Oninla OA, Oninla SO, Onayemi O, Olasode OA
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Analysis of pediatric dermatology inpatient consultations in a pediatric teaching hospital.
- Authors: Afsar FS
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 1
- Skin diseases in pediatric patients attending a tertiary dermatology hospital in Northern Tanzania: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Kiprono SK, Muchunu JW, Masenga JE
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 10
- Magnitude of surgical site infection and its associated factors among patients who underwent a surgical procedure at Wolaita Sodo University Teaching and Referral Hospital, South Ethiopia.
- Authors: Awoke N, Arba A, Girma A
- Issue date: 2019