Delamanid for rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis: a retrospective study from South Africa.
Trivino Duran, L
De Azevedo, V
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEuropean Respiratory Journal
AbstractExperience with delamanid (Dlm) is limited, particularly among HIV-positive individuals. We describe early efficacy and safety data from a programmatic setting in South Africa. This was a retrospective cohort study of patients receiving Dlm-containing treatment regimens between November 2015 and August 2017. We report 12-month interim outcomes, sputum culture conversion (SCC) by months 2 and 6, serious adverse events (SAEs) and QT intervals corrected using the Frederica formula (QTcF). Overall, 103 patients were initiated on Dlm; 79 (77%) were HIV positive. The main indication for Dlm was intolerance to second-line anti-tuberculosis (TB) drugs (n=58, 56%). There were 12 months of follow-up for 46 patients; 28 (61%) had a favourable outcome (cure, treatment completion or culture negativity). Positive cultures were found for 57 patients at Dlm initiation; 16 out of 31 (52%) had SCC within 2 months and 25 out of 31 (81%) within 6 months. There were 67 SAEs reported in 29 patients (28%). There were four instances of QTcF prolongation >500 ms in two patients (2%), leading to permanent discontinuation in one case; however, no cardiac arrhythmias occurred. This large cohort of difficult-to-treat patients receiving Dlm for rifampicin-resistant TB treatment in a programmatic setting with high HIV prevalence had favourable early treatment response and tolerated treatment well. Dlm should remain available, particularly for those who cannot be treated with conventional regimens or with limited treatment options.
PublisherEuropean Respiratory Society
- Early safety and efficacy of the combination of bedaquiline and delamanid for the treatment of patients with drug-resistant tuberculosis in Armenia, India, and South Africa: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Ferlazzo G, Mohr E, Laxmeshwar C, Hewison C, Hughes J, Jonckheere S, Khachatryan N, De Avezedo V, Egazaryan L, Shroufi A, Kalon S, Cox H, Furin J, Isaakidis P
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Delamanid: From discovery to its use for pulmonary multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB).
- Authors: Liu Y, Matsumoto M, Ishida H, Ohguro K, Yoshitake M, Gupta R, Geiter L, Hafkin J
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Delamanid: a review of its use in patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Blair HA, Scott LJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Early efficacy and safety of Bedaquiline and Delamanid given together in a "Salvage Regimen" for treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Sarin R, Vohra V, Singla N, Singla R, Puri MM, Munjal SK, Khalid UK, Myneedu VP, Verma A, Mathuria KK
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Profile of delamanid for the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Szumowski JD, Lynch JB
- Issue date: 2015