Is Chemoprophylaxis for Child Contacts of Drug-Resistant TB Patients Beneficial? A Systematic Review.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Preventive therapy for child contacts of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) patients is poorly studied, and no consensus about the role and the rationale of chemoprophylaxis has been reached. OBJECTIVE: To conduct systematic review with an aim to determine the effectiveness of TB preventive therapy in reducing the incidence of TB disease in pediatric contacts of MDR-TB patients. METHODS: We conducted a literature search for randomized control trials, cohort studies, and case reports of chemoprophylaxis for pediatric contacts of MDR-TB patients in PubMed, EMBASE, Cochrane Databases of Systematic Reviews, metaRegister of Controlled Trials, and other clinical registries through March 2017, using appropriate search strategy. In addition we searched abstracts from international conferences and references of published articles and reviews. RESULTS: Of the 153 references assessed from various databases, seven studies were identified as relevant after adaption of eligibility criteria and assessed for systematic review. Of these, only two studies contributed data for the pooled meta-analysis. CONCLUSIONS: Though the available evidences suggest that the chemoprophylaxis for child contacts of MDR-TB patients is beneficial, data to support or reject preventive therapy is very limited. Further clinical research, in Tb endemic settings like India, needs to be performed to prove the beneficial effect of chemoprophylaxis for pediatric contacts of MDR-TB.
PublisherHindawi Publishing Corporation
- Lack of evidence to support policy development for management of contacts of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients: two systematic reviews.
- Authors: van der Werf MJ, Langendam MW, Sandgren A, Manissero D
- Issue date: 2012
- Controversies in preventive therapy for children contacts of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Chiappini E, Sollai S, Bonsignori F, Galli L, de Martino M
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Epidemiology of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) in Ethiopia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the prevalence, determinants and treatment outcome.
- Authors: Girum T, Muktar E, Lentiro K, Wondiye H, Shewangizaw M
- Issue date: 2018
- Failure of chemoprophylaxis with standard antituberculosis agents in child contacts of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis cases.
- Authors: Sneag DB, Schaaf HS, Cotton MF, Zar HJ
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Adverse events in healthy individuals and MDR-TB contacts treated with anti-tuberculosis drugs potentially effective for preventing development of MDR-TB: a systematic review.
- Authors: Langendam MW, Tiemersma EW, van der Werf MJ, Sandgren A
- Issue date: 2013