Quantifying the incidence of severe-febrile-illness hospital admissions in sub-Saharan Africa.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSevere-febrile-illness (SFI) is a common cause of morbidity and mortality across sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The burden of SFI in SSA is currently unknown and its estimation is fraught with challenges. This is due to a lack of diagnostic capacity for SFI in SSA, and thus a dearth of baseline data on the underlying etiology of SFI cases and scant SFI-specific causative-agent prevalence data. To highlight the public health significance of SFI in SSA, we developed a Bayesian model to quantify the incidence of SFI hospital admissions in SSA. Our estimates indicate a mean population-weighted SFI-inpatient-admission incidence rate of 18.4 (6.8-31.1, 68% CrI) per 1000 people for the year 2014, across all ages within areas of SSA with stable Plasmodium falciparum transmission. We further estimated a total of 16,200,337 (5,993,249-27,321,779, 68% CrI) SFI hospital admissions. This analysis reveals the significant burden of SFI in hospitals in SSA, but also highlights the paucity of pathogen-specific prevalence and incidence data for SFI in SSA. Future improvements in pathogen-specific diagnostics for causative agents of SFI will increase the abundance of SFI-specific prevalence and incidence data, aid future estimations of SFI burden, and enable clinicians to identify SFI-specific pathogens, administer appropriate treatment and management, and facilitate appropriate antibiotic use.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- The burden of human papillomavirus infections and related diseases in sub-saharan Africa.
- Authors: De Vuyst H, Alemany L, Lacey C, Chibwesha CJ, Sahasrabuddhe V, Banura C, Denny L, Parham GP
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 29
- Economic burden of neonatal sepsis in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Ranjeva SL, Warf BC, Schiff SJ
- Issue date: 2018
- Diagnosis and Treatment of the Febrile Child
- Authors: Herlihy JM, D’Acremont V, Hay Burgess DC, Hamer DH, Black RE, Laxminarayan R, Temmerman M, Walker N
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 5
- A Synthesis of Hepatitis C prevalence estimates in Sub-Saharan Africa: 2000-2013.
- Authors: Mora N, Adams WH, Kliethermes S, Dugas L, Balasubramanian N, Sandhu J, Nde H, Small C, Jose J, Scaglione S, Layden JE
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 13
- Authors: Bloom BR, Atun R, Cohen T, Dye C, Fraser H, Gomez GB, Knight G, Murray M, Nardell E, Rubin E, Salomon J, Vassall A, Volchenkov G, White R, Wilson D, Yadav P, Holmes KK, Bertozzi S, Bloom BR, Jha P
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 3