Quantifying the incidence of severe-febrile-illness hospital admissions in sub-Saharan Africa.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSevere-febrile-illness (SFI) is a common cause of morbidity and mortality across sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The burden of SFI in SSA is currently unknown and its estimation is fraught with challenges. This is due to a lack of diagnostic capacity for SFI in SSA, and thus a dearth of baseline data on the underlying etiology of SFI cases and scant SFI-specific causative-agent prevalence data. To highlight the public health significance of SFI in SSA, we developed a Bayesian model to quantify the incidence of SFI hospital admissions in SSA. Our estimates indicate a mean population-weighted SFI-inpatient-admission incidence rate of 18.4 (6.8-31.1, 68% CrI) per 1000 people for the year 2014, across all ages within areas of SSA with stable Plasmodium falciparum transmission. We further estimated a total of 16,200,337 (5,993,249-27,321,779, 68% CrI) SFI hospital admissions. This analysis reveals the significant burden of SFI in hospitals in SSA, but also highlights the paucity of pathogen-specific prevalence and incidence data for SFI in SSA. Future improvements in pathogen-specific diagnostics for causative agents of SFI will increase the abundance of SFI-specific prevalence and incidence data, aid future estimations of SFI burden, and enable clinicians to identify SFI-specific pathogens, administer appropriate treatment and management, and facilitate appropriate antibiotic use.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- The contribution of non-malarial febrile illness co-infections to Plasmodium falciparum case counts in health facilities in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Dalrymple U, Cameron E, Arambepola R, Battle KE, Chestnutt EG, Keddie SH, Twohig KA, Pfeffer DA, Gibson HS, Weiss DJ, Bhatt S, Gething PW
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 11
- Severe febrile illness in adult hospital admissions in Tanzania: a prospective study in an area of high malaria transmission.
- Authors: Nadjm B, Mtove G, Amos B, Walker NF, Diefendal H, Reyburn H, Whitty CJ
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- How Far Are We from Reaching Universal Malaria Testing of All Fever Cases?
- Authors: Plucinski MM, Guilavogui T, Camara A, Ndiop M, Cisse M, Painter J, Thwing J
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Febrile illness diagnostics and the malaria-industrial complex: a socio-environmental perspective.
- Authors: Stoler J, Awandare GA
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 17
- Age-patterns of malaria vary with severity, transmission intensity and seasonality in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and pooled analysis.
- Authors: Carneiro I, Roca-Feltrer A, Griffin JT, Smith L, Tanner M, Schellenberg JA, Greenwood B, Schellenberg D
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 1