Cardiovascular Disease among Syrian refugees: a descriptive study of patients in two Médecins Sans Frontières clinics in northern Lebanon.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalConflict and Health
AbstractWe included 514 patients with ASCVD in the cross-sectional study, performed in 2017. Most (61.9%) were male and mean age was 60.4 years (95% CI, 59.6-61.3). Over half (58.8%) underwent revascularization and 26.1% had known cerebrovascular disease. ASCVD risk factors included 51.8% with diabetes and 72.2% with hypertension. While prescription (75.7 to 98.2%) and self-reported adherence rates (78.4 to 93.9%) for individual ASCVD secondary prevention drugs (ACE-inhibitor, statin and antiplatelet) were high, the use of all three was low at 41.3% (CI95%: 37.0-45.6). The 5-year retrospective cohort study (ending April 2017) identified 1286 patients with ASCVD and 16,618 related consultations (comprising 24% of all NCD consultations). Over one third (39.7%) of patients were lost to follow-up, with lower risk among men.
- Cardiovascular disease risk and prevention amongst Syrian refugees: mixed methods study of Médecins Sans Frontières programme in Jordan.
- Authors: Collins DRJ, Jobanputra K, Frost T, Muhammed S, Ward A, Shafei AA, Fardous T, Gabashneh S, Heneghan C
- Issue date: 2017
- Treating Syrian refugees with diabetes and hypertension in Shatila refugee camp, Lebanon: Médecins Sans Frontières model of care and treatment outcomes.
- Authors: Kayali M, Moussally K, Lakis C, Abrash MA, Sawan C, Reid A, Edwards J
- Issue date: 2019
- MSF experiences of providing multidisciplinary primary level NCD care for Syrian refugees and the host population in Jordan: an implementation study guided by the RE-AIM framework.
- Authors: Ansbro É, Homan T, Qasem J, Bil K, Rasoul Tarawneh M, Roberts B, Perel P, Jobanputra K
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 26
- A cross-sectional assessment of diabetes self-management, education and support needs of Syrian refugee patients living with diabetes in Bekaa Valley Lebanon.
- Authors: Elliott JA, Das D, Cavailler P, Schneider F, Shah M, Ravaud A, Lightowler M, Boulle P
- Issue date: 2018
- "I try the one that they say is good." - factors influencing choice of health care provider and pathways to diabetes care for Syrian refugees in Lebanon.
- Authors: Haderer F, Venables E, van Olmen J, Orcutt M, Ghassibe-Sabbagh M, van den Boogaard W
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 5