A meta-analysis of clinical studies conducted during the West Africa Ebola virus disease outbreak confirms the need for randomized control groups
van Griensven, J
MetadataShow full item record
JournalScience Translation Medicine
AbstractRecent Ebola virus disease outbreaks affirm the dire need for treatments with proven efficacy. Randomized controlled clinical trials remain the gold standard but, during disease outbreaks, may be difficult to conduct due to ethical concerns and challenging field conditions. In the absence of a randomized control group, statistical modeling to create a control group could be a possibility. Such a model-based reference control would only be credible if it had the same mortality risk as that of the experimental group in the absence of treatment. One way to test this counterfactual assumption is to evaluate whether reasonable similarity exists across nonrandomized control groups from different clinical studies, which might suggest that a future control group would be similarly homogeneous. We evaluated similarity across six clinical studies conducted during the 2013-2016 West Africa outbreak of Ebola virus disease. These studies evaluated favipiravir, the biologic ZMapp, the antimalarial drug amodiaquine, or administration of convalescent plasma or convalescent whole blood. We compared the nonrandomized control groups of these six studies comprising 1147 individuals infected with Ebola virus. We found considerable heterogeneity, which did not disappear after statistical modeling to adjust for prognostic variables. Mortality risk varied widely (31 to 66%) across the nonrandomized control arms of these six studies. Models adjusting for baseline covariates (age, sex, and cycle threshold, a proxy for viral load) failed to sufficiently recalibrate these studies and showed that heterogeneity remained. Our findings highlight concerns about making invalid conclusions when comparing nonrandomized control groups to cohorts receiving experimental treatments.
- Experimental Treatment with Favipiravir for Ebola Virus Disease (the JIKI Trial): A Historically Controlled, Single-Arm Proof-of-Concept Trial in Guinea.
- Authors: Sissoko D, Laouenan C, Folkesson E, M'Lebing AB, Beavogui AH, Baize S, Camara AM, Maes P, Shepherd S, Danel C, Carazo S, Conde MN, Gala JL, Colin G, Savini H, Bore JA, Le Marcis F, Koundouno FR, Petitjean F, Lamah MC, Diederich S, Tounkara A, Poelart G, Berbain E, Dindart JM, Duraffour S, Lefevre A, Leno T, Peyrouset O, Irenge L, Bangoura N, Palich R, Hinzmann J, Kraus A, Barry TS, Berette S, Bongono A, Camara MS, Chanfreau Munoz V, Doumbouya L, Souley Harouna, Kighoma PM, Koundouno FR, Réné Lolamou, Loua CM, Massala V, Moumouni K, Provost C, Samake N, Sekou C, Soumah A, Arnould I, Komano MS, Gustin L, Berutto C, Camara D, Camara FS, Colpaert J, Delamou L, Jansson L, Kourouma E, Loua M, Malme K, Manfrin E, Maomou A, Milinouno A, Ombelet S, Sidiboun AY, Verreckt I, Yombouno P, Bocquin A, Carbonnelle C, Carmoi T, Frange P, Mely S, Nguyen VK, Pannetier D, Taburet AM, Treluyer JM, Kolie J, Moh R, Gonzalez MC, Kuisma E, Liedigk B, Ngabo D, Rudolf M, Thom R, Kerber R, Gabriel M, Di Caro A, Wölfel R, Badir J, Bentahir M, Deccache Y, Dumont C, Durant JF, El Bakkouri K, Gasasira Uwamahoro M, Smits B, Toufik N, Van Cauwenberghe S, Ezzedine K, D'Ortenzio E, Pizarro L, Etienne A, Guedj J, Fizet A, Barte de Sainte Fare E, Murgue B, Tran-Minh T, Rapp C, Piguet P, Poncin M, Draguez B, Allaford Duverger T, Barbe S, Baret G, Defourny I, Carroll M, Raoul H, Augier A, Eholie SP, Yazdanpanah Y, Levy-Marchal C, Antierrens A, Van Herp M, Günther S, de Lamballerie X, Keïta S, Mentre F, Anglaret X, Malvy D, JIKI Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Design and analysis considerations in the Ebola_Tx trial evaluating convalescent plasma in the treatment of Ebola virus disease in Guinea during the 2014-2015 outbreak.
- Authors: Edwards T, Semple MG, De Weggheleire A, Claeys Y, De Crop M, Menten J, Ravinetto R, Temmerman S, Lynen L, Bah EI, Smith PG, van Griensven J, Ebola_Tx Consortium.
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Anti-Ebola therapy for patients with Ebola virus disease: a systematic review.
- Authors: Lee JS, Adhikari NKJ, Kwon HY, Teo K, Siemieniuk R, Lamontagne F, Chan A, Mishra S, Murthy S, Kiiza P, Hajek J, Bah EI, Lamah MC, Kao R, Fowler RA
- Issue date: 2019 May 2
- A Randomized, Controlled Trial of ZMapp for Ebola Virus Infection.
- Authors: PREVAIL II Writing Group., Multi-National PREVAIL II Study Team., Davey RT Jr, Dodd L, Proschan MA, Neaton J, Neuhaus Nordwall J, Koopmeiners JS, Beigel J, Tierney J, Lane HC, Fauci AS, Massaquoi MBF, Sahr F, Malvy D
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 13
- Will There Be a Cure for Ebola?
- Authors: Cardile AP, Warren TK, Martins KA, Reisler RB, Bavari S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 6