Perceptions and Health-Seeking Behaviour for Mental Illness Among Syrian Refugees and Lebanese Community Members in Wadi Khaled, North Lebanon: A Qualitative Study
MetadataShow full item record
JournalCommunity Mental Health Journal
AbstractThis is a qualitative exploration of the perceptions of mental health (MH) and their influence on health-seeking behaviour among Syrian refugees and the Lebanese population in Wadi Khaled, a rural area of Lebanon bordering Syria. Eight focus group discussions and eight key informant interviews were conducted with male and female Syrian refugees and Lebanese community members from March to April 2018. MH illness was associated with stigma, shame and fear among both populations. Beliefs surrounding mental illness were strongly linked to religious beliefs, including Jinn. Religious healers were considered the first line of help for people with mental illnesses, and were perceived as culturally acceptable and less stigmatizing than MH professionals. It is essential for MH professionals to build trust with the communities in which they work. Collaboration with religious healers is key to identifying MH symptoms and creating referral pathways to MH professionals in this context.
- Mental Health Services for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon: Perceptions and Experiences of Professionals and Refugees.
- Authors: Kerbage H, Marranconi F, Chamoun Y, Brunet A, Richa S, Zaman S
- Issue date: 2020 May
- A community-based system dynamics approach for understanding factors affecting mental Health and Health seeking behaviors in Beirut and Beqaa regions of Lebanon.
- Authors: Noubani A, Diaconu K, Ghandour L, El Koussa M, Loffreda G, Saleh S
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 30
- Prevalence, care-seeking, and health service utilization for non-communicable diseases among Syrian refugees and host communities in Lebanon.
- Authors: Doocy S, Lyles E, Hanquart B, LHAS Study Team., Woodman M
- Issue date: 2016
- Cancer Awareness and Barriers to Medical Treatment Among Syrian Refugees and Lebanese Citizens in Lebanon.
- Authors: Alawa J, Hamade O, Alayleh A, Fayad L, Khoshnood K
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 28
- Needs assessment with elder Syrian refugees in Lebanon: Implications for services and interventions.
- Authors: Chemali Z, Borba CPC, Johnson K, Khair S, Fricchione GL
- Issue date: 2018 Sep