MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImprovements in geospatial health data and tailored human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing, prevention and treatment have led to greater microtargeting of the HIV response, based on location, risk, clinical status and disease burden. These approaches show promise for achieving control of the HIV epidemic. At the same time, United Nations Member States have committed to achieving broader health and development goals by 2030, including universal health coverage (UHC). HIV epidemic control will facilitate UHC by averting the need to commit ever-increasing resources to HIV services. Yet an overly targeted HIV response could also distort health systems, impede integration and potentially threaten broader health goals. We discuss current approaches to achieving both UHC and HIV epidemic control, noting potential areas of friction between disease-specific microtargeting and integrated health systems, and highlighting opportunities for convergence that could enhance both initiatives. Examples of these programmatic elements that could be better aligned include: improved information systems with unique identifiers to track and monitor individuals across health services and the life course; strengthened subnational data use; more accountable supply chains that supply a broad range of services; and strengthened community-based services and workforces. We argue that the response both to HIV and to broader health threats should use these areas of convergence to increase health systems efficiency and mitigate the harm of any potential decrease in health funding. Further investments in implementation and monitoring of these programme elements will be needed to make progress towards both UHC and HIV epidemic control.
PublisherWorld Health Organization
- Progress toward universal health coverage in ASEAN.
- Authors: Van Minh H, Pocock NS, Chaiyakunapruk N, Chhorvann C, Duc HA, Hanvoravongchai P, Lim J, Lucero-Prisno DE 3rd, Ng N, Phaholyothin N, Phonvisay A, Soe KM, Sychareun V
- Issue date: 2014
- Achieving the targets for universal health coverage: how is Thailand monitoring progress?
- Authors: Witthayapipopsakul W, Kulthanmanusorn A, Vongmongkol V, Viriyathorn S, Wanwong Y, Tangcharoensathien V
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Achieving universal access and moving towards elimination of new HIV infections in Cambodia.
- Authors: Vun MC, Fujita M, Rathavy T, Eang MT, Sopheap S, Sovannarith S, Chhorvann C, Vanthy L, Sopheap O, Welle E, Ferradini L, Sedtha C, Bunna S, Verbruggen R
- Issue date: 2014
- Leveraging the lessons learned from financing HIV programs to advance the universal health coverage (UHC) agenda in the East African Community.
- Authors: Zakumumpa H, Bennett S, Ssengooba F
- Issue date: 2019