Evaluation of the stability of measles vaccine out of the cold chain under extended controlled temperature conditions.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMeasles outbreaks occur periodically in remote and difficult to reach areas in countries such as the Democratic Republic of Congo. The possibility to keep measles vaccines at temperatures outside the cold chain for a limited period prior to administration would be an advantage for organizations such as Médecins Sans Frontières, which repeatedly respond to measles outbreaks in difficult contexts. Using stability data at 37 °C and 40 °C provided by Serum Institute of India Private Limited we applied the product release model for Extended Controlled Temperature Conditions (ECTC) to evaluate the possibility of an out of the cold chain excursion. Measles vaccine in the lyophilized form remains above the minimum required potency at the end of the shelf-life for up to 6 days at 37 °C or for 2 days at 40 °C. This evaluation supports the use of a monodose presentation of measles vaccine in ECTC. This could be an advantage for outbreak response in isolated and difficult to reach areas. However the operational advantages of this approach need to be established.
- Measles outbreak response immunization is context-specific: insight from the recent experience of Médecins Sans Frontières.
- Authors: Minetti A, Bopp C, Fermon F, François G, Grais RF, Grout L, Hurtado N, Luquero FJ, Porten K, Sury L, Terzian M
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- An evaluation of the cold chain technology in South-East, Nigeria using Immunogenicity study on the measles vaccines.
- Authors: Oli AN, Agu RU, Ihekwereme CP, Esimone CO
- Issue date: 2017
- Measles in Democratic Republic of Congo: an outbreak description from Katanga, 2010-2011.
- Authors: Grout L, Minetti A, Hurtado N, François G, Fermon F, Chatelain A, Harczi G, Ngoie Jde D, N'Goran A, Luquero FJ, Grais RF, Porten K
- Issue date: 2013 May 22
- Stability of heat stable, live attenuated Rotavirus vaccine (ROTASIIL®).
- Authors: Naik SP, Zade JK, Sabale RN, Pisal SS, Menon R, Bankar SG, Gairola S, Dhere RM
- Issue date: 2017 May 19
- Stability of freeze-dried and reconstituted measles vaccines.
- Authors: Peetermans J, Colinet G, Stephenne J, Bouillet A
- Issue date: 1978