Retention and sustained viral suppression in HIV patients transferred to community refill centres in Kinshasa, DRC
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: In 2010, Médecins Sans Frontières set up decentralised community antiretroviral therapy (ART) refill centres ("poste de distribution communautaire", PODI) for the follow-up of stable human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) patients. Objective: To assess retention in care and sustained viral suppression after transfer to three main PODI in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) (PODI Barumbu/Central, PODI Binza Ozone/West and PODI Masina I/East). Design: Retrospective cohort study using routine programme data for adult HIV patients transferred from Kabinda Hospital to PODIs between January 2015 and June 2017. Results: A total of 337 patients were transferred to PODIs: 306 (91%) were on ART for at least 12 months; 118 (39%) had a routine "12-month" viral load (VL) done, 93% (n = 110) of whom had a suppressed VL <1000 copies/ml. Median time from enrolment into PODI to 12-month routine VL was 14.6 months (IQR 12.2-20.8). Kaplan-Meier estimates of retention in care at 6, 12 and 18 months after enrolment into PODIs were respectively 96%, 92% and 88%. Conclusion: Retention in care and viral suppression among patients in PODI with VL results were better than patients in clinic care and national outcomes.
- HIV viral suppression and longevity among a cohort of children initiating antiretroviral therapy in Eastern Cape, South Africa.
- Authors: Teasdale CA, Sogaula N, Yuengling KA, Wang C, Mutiti A, Arpadi S, Nxele M, Pepeta L, Mogashoa M, Rivadeneira ED, Abrams EJ
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Evaluating facility-based antiretroviral therapy programme effectiveness: a pilot study comparing viral load suppression and retention rates.
- Authors: Duber HC, Roberts DA, Ikilezi G, Fullman N, Gasasira A, Gakidou E, Haakenstad A, J Levine A, Achan J
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Point-of-care viral load monitoring: outcomes from a decentralized HIV programme in Malawi.
- Authors: Nicholas S, Poulet E, Wolters L, Wapling J, Rakesh A, Amoros I, Szumilin E, Gueguen M, Schramm B
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- High rates of viral suppression in adults and children with high CD4+ counts using a streamlined ART delivery model in the SEARCH trial in rural Uganda and Kenya.
- Authors: Kwarisiima D, Kamya MR, Owaraganise A, Mwangwa F, Byonanebye DM, Ayieko J, Plenty A, Black D, Clark TD, Nzarubara B, Snyman K, Brown L, Bukusi E, Cohen CR, Geng EH, Charlebois ED, Ruel TD, Petersen ML, Havlir D, Jain V
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 21
- Protocol for a randomised controlled implementation trial of point-of-care viral load testing and task shifting: the Simplifying HIV TREAtment and Monitoring (STREAM) study.
- Authors: Dorward J, Garrett N, Quame-Amaglo J, Samsunder N, Ngobese H, Ngomane N, Moodley P, Mlisana K, Schaafsma T, Donnell D, Barnabas R, Naidoo K, Abdool Karim S, Celum C, Drain PK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 27