Knowledge, attitudes and behaviours towards people with HIV and AIDS among private higher education students in Johannesburg, South Africa
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground Human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (HIV and AIDS) is a global health and social problem, with South Africa having an estimated overall prevalence rate of 13.5%. Compared to young male participants, young female participants have been reported to have less knowledge about HIV and AIDS, including prevention strategies, and this is associated with risky sexual behaviours and negative attitudes towards condom use. Objectives The study investigated gender differences in knowledge, attitudes and behaviours towards HIV and AIDS among 542 private higher education students in Johannesburg, South Africa. Method Participants completed an online structured questionnaire measuring knowledge, attitudes and behaviours as well as demographics (including age, gender and relationship status). Results The results indicate that overall there were no significant differences between male and female students in terms of HIV and AIDS knowledge. However, female students had significantly less knowledge with regard to unprotected anal sex as a risk factor for HIV and AIDS. In addition, young female students reported condom use at last sex less frequently than male students. Nonetheless, both genders reported a positive attitude towards condom use and towards people living with HIV and AIDS. Conclusion It is recommended that the relevant authorities at the state and the higher education level seriously consider implementing specific strategies for preventing HIV and AIDS through improved knowledge, attitudes and behaviours among young females.
PublisherHealth and Medical Publishing Group
- A school-based AIDS education programme for secondary school students in Nigeria: a review of effectiveness.
- Authors: Fawole IO, Asuzu MC, Oduntan SO, Brieger WR
- Issue date: 1999 Oct
- Knowledge, risk perception of AIDS and reported sexual behaviour among students in secondary schools and colleges in Tanzania.
- Authors: Maswanya ES, Moji K, Horiguchi I, Nagata K, Aoyagi K, Honda S, Takemoto T
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding HIV/AIDS among senior secondary school students in Fako Division, South West Region, Cameroon.
- Authors: Nubed CK, Akoachere JTK
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 22
- Sexual behavior and attitudes of university students in Northern Ireland.
- Authors: Sneddon I, Kremer J
- Issue date: 1992 Jun
- "I am aware of the risks, I am not changing my behaviour": risky sexual behaviour of university students in a high-HIV context.
- Authors: Mthembu Z, Maharaj P, Rademeyer S
- Issue date: 2019 Sep