Alternative observational designs to estimate the effectiveness of one dose of oral cholera vaccine in Lusaka, Zambia
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEpidemiology and Infection
AbstractWe conducted a matched case-control (MCC), test-negative case-control (TNCC) and case-cohort study in 2016 in Lusaka, Zambia, following a mass vaccination campaign. Confirmed cholera cases served as cases in all three study designs. In the TNCC, control-subjects were cases with negative cholera culture and polymerase chain reaction results. Matched controls by age and sex were selected among neighbours of the confirmed cases in the MCC study. For the case-cohort study, we recruited a cohort of randomly selected individuals living in areas considered at-risk of cholera. We recruited 211 suspected cases (66 confirmed cholera cases and 145 non-cholera diarrhoea cases), 1055 matched controls and a cohort of 921. Adjusted vaccine effectiveness of one dose of oral cholera vaccine (OCV) was 88.9% (95% confidence interval (CI) 42.7-97.8) in the MCC study, 80.2% (95% CI: 16.9-95.3) in the TNCC design and 89.4% (95% CI: 64.6-96.9) in the case-cohort study. Three study designs confirmed the short-term effectiveness of single dose OCV. Major healthcare-seeking behaviour bias did not appear to affect our estimates. Most of the protection among vaccinated individuals could be attributed to the direct effect of the vaccine.
PublisherCambridge University Press
- Long-term effectiveness of one and two doses of a killed, bivalent, whole-cell oral cholera vaccine in Haiti: an extended case-control study.
- Authors: Franke MF, Ternier R, Jerome JG, Matias WR, Harris JB, Ivers LC
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Delayed second dose of oral cholera vaccine administered before high-risk period for cholera transmission: Cholera control strategy in Lusaka, 2016.
- Authors: Ferreras E, Matapo B, Chizema-Kawesha E, Chewe O, Mzyece H, Blake A, Moonde L, Zulu G, Poncin M, Sinyange N, Kasese-Chanda N, Phiri C, Malama K, Mukonka V, Cohuet S, Uzzeni F, Ciglenecki I, Danovaro-Holliday MC, Luquero FJ, Pezzoli L
- Issue date: 2019
- Evaluating the costs of cholera illness and cost-effectiveness of a single dose oral vaccination campaign in Lusaka, Zambia.
- Authors: Tembo T, Simuyandi M, Chiyenu K, Sharma A, Chilyabanyama ON, Mbwili-Muleya C, Mazaba ML, Chilengi R
- Issue date: 2019
- Effectiveness of an oral cholera vaccine campaign to prevent clinically-significant cholera in Odisha State, India.
- Authors: Wierzba TF, Kar SK, Mogasale VV, Kerketta AS, You YA, Baral P, Khuntia HK, Ali M, Kim YH, Rath SB, Bhattachan A, Sah B
- Issue date: 2015 May 15
- Effectiveness of one dose of oral cholera vaccine in response to an outbreak: a case-cohort study.
- Authors: Azman AS, Parker LA, Rumunu J, Tadesse F, Grandesso F, Deng LL, Lino RL, Bior BK, Lasuba M, Page AL, Ontweka L, Llosa AE, Cohuet S, Pezzoli L, Sodjinou DV, Abubakar A, Debes AK, Mpairwe AM, Wamala JF, Jamet C, Lessler J, Sack DA, Quilici ML, Ciglenecki I, Luquero FJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov