Injectable-free regimens containing bedaquiline, delamanid, or both for adolescents with rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis in Khayelitsha, South Africa
De Azevedo, V
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Limited data exist on the use of bedaquiline and delamanid in adolescents with rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis (RR-TB). We describe RR-TB treatment of adolescents (10-19 years) with injectable-free regimens containing these drugs in Khayelitsha, South Africa. METHODS: This retrospective study included adolescents initiating injectable-free RR-TB treatment regimens containing bedaquiline and/or delamanid from February 2015 to June 2018. We report adverse events (AEs) of interest, sputum culture conversion (SCC), and final end-of-treatment outcomes. FINDINGS: Twenty-two patients were included; median age at treatment initiation was 17 years (interquartile range [IQR] 15-18), and six (27%) were HIV-positive (median CD4 count 191 cells/mm3 [IQR 157-204]). Eight (36%) patients had RR-TB with fluoroquinolone resistance; ten (45%), eight (36%), and four (18%) patients received regimens containing bedaquiline, delamanid, or the combination of bedaquiline and delamanid, respectively. The median durations of exposure to bedaquiline and delamanid were 5·6 (IQR 5·5-8·4) and 9·4 (IQR 5·9-14·4) months, respectively. There were 49 AEs of interest which occurred in 17 (77%) patients. Fourteen (64%) patients had pulmonary TB with positive sputum cultures at bedaquiline and/or delamanid initiation; among these SCC at month 6 was 79%. Final end-of-treatment outcomes for the 22 adolescent were: 17 (77%) successfully treated, two (9%) lost-to-follow-up, two (9%) treatment failed, and one (5%) died. INTERPRETATION: This study found that injectable-free regimens containing bedaquiline and/or delamanid in a programmatic setting were effective and well tolerated in adolescents and should be routinely provided for RR-TB treatment in this age group as recommended by the World Health Organisation.
- Effectiveness and safety of delamanid- or bedaquiline-containing regimens among children and adolescents with multidrug resistant or extensively drug resistant tuberculosis: A nationwide study from Belarus, 2015-19.
- Authors: Solodovnikova V, Kumar AMV, Hurevich H, Sereda Y, Auchynka V, Katovich D, Klimuk D, Skrahin A, Setkina S, Charnysh I, Yedilbayev A, Skrahina A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 14
- Clinical Outcomes Among Patients With Drug-resistant Tuberculosis Receiving Bedaquiline- or Delamanid-Containing Regimens.
- Authors: Kempker RR, Mikiashvili L, Zhao Y, Benkeser D, Barbakadze K, Bablishvili N, Avaliani Z, Peloquin CA, Blumberg HM, Kipiani M
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 3
- Early safety and efficacy of the combination of bedaquiline and delamanid for the treatment of patients with drug-resistant tuberculosis in Armenia, India, and South Africa: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Ferlazzo G, Mohr E, Laxmeshwar C, Hewison C, Hughes J, Jonckheere S, Khachatryan N, De Avezedo V, Egazaryan L, Shroufi A, Kalon S, Cox H, Furin J, Isaakidis P
- Issue date: 2018 May
- New TB drugs for the treatment of children and adolescents with rifampicin-resistant TB in Mumbai, India.
- Authors: Das M, Mamnoon F, Mansoor H, Meneguim AC, Singh P, Shah I, Ravi S, Kalon S, Hossain FN, Ferlazzo G, Isaakidis P, Furin J, Acharya S, Thakur HP
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 1
- Outcome of treatment of MDR-TB or drug-resistant patients treated with bedaquiline and delamanid: Results from a large global cohort.
- Authors: Koirala S, Borisov S, Danila E, Mariandyshev A, Shrestha B, Lukhele N, Dalcolmo M, Shakya SR, Miliauskas S, Kuksa L, Manga S, Aleksa A, Denholm JT, Khadka HB, Skrahina A, Diktanas S, Ferrarese M, Bruchfeld J, Koleva A, Piubello A, Koirala GS, Udwadia ZF, Palmero DJ, Munoz-Torrico M, Gc R, Gualano G, Grecu VI, Motta I, Papavasileiou A, Li Y, Hoefsloot W, Kunst H, Mazza-Stalder J, Payen MC, Akkerman OW, Bernal E, Manfrin V, Matteelli A, Mustafa Hamdan H, Nieto Marcos M, Cadiñanos Loidi J, Cebrian Gallardo JJ, Duarte R, Escobar Salinas N, Gomez Rosso R, Laniado-Laborín R, Martínez Robles E, Quirós Fernandez S, Rendon A, Solovic I, Tadolini M, Viggiani P, Belilovski E, Boeree MJ, Cai Q, Davidavičienė E, Forsman LD, De Los Rios J, Drakšienė J, Duga A, Elamin SE, Filippov A, Garcia A, Gaudiesiute I, Gavazova B, Gayoso R, Gruslys V, Jonsson J, Khimova E, Madonsela G, Magis-Escurra C, Marchese V, Matei M, Moschos C, Nakčerienė B, Nicod L, Palmieri F, Pontarelli A, Šmite A, Souleymane MB, Vescovo M, Zablockis R, Zhurkin D, Alffenaar JW, Caminero JA, Codecasa LR, García-García JM, Esposito S, Saderi L, Spanevello A, Visca D, Tiberi S, Pontali E, Centis R, D'Ambrosio L, van den Boom M, Sotgiu G, Migliori GB
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 19