Outcomes of decentralizing hypertension care from district hospitals to health centers in Rwanda, 2013-2014
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPublic Health Action
AbstractSetting: Three district hospitals (DHs) and seven health centers (HCs) in rural Rwanda. Objective: To describe follow-up and treatment outcomes in stage 1 and 2 hypertension patients receiving care at HCs closer to home in comparison to patients receiving care at DHs further from home. Design: A retrospective descriptive cohort study using routinely collected data involving adult patients aged ⩾18 years in care at chronic non-communicable disease clinics and receiving treatment for hypertension at DH and HC between 1 January 2013 and 30 June 2014. Results: Of 162 patients included in the analysis, 36.4% were from HCs. Patients at DHs travelled significantly further to receive care (10.4 km vs. 2.9 km for HCs, P < 0.01). Odds of being retained were significantly lower among DH patients when not adjusting for distance (OR 0.11, P = 0.01). The retention effect was consistent but no longer significant when adjusting for distance (OR 0.18, P = 0.10). For those retained, there was no significant difference in achieving blood pressure targets between the DHs and HCs. Conclusion: By removing the distance barrier, decentralizing hypertension management to HCs may improve long-term patient retention and could provide similar hypertension outcomes as DHs.
- Closing the gap: decentralising mental health care to primary care centres in one rural district of Rwanda.
- Authors: Nyirandagijimana B, Edwards JK, Venables E, Ali E, Rusangwa C, Mukasakindi H, Borg R, Fabien M, Tharcisse M, Nshimyiryo A, Park PH, Raviola GJ, Smith SL
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 21
- Cluster Randomized Trial to Facilitate Breast Cancer Early Diagnosis in a Rural District of Rwanda.
- Authors: Pace LE, Dusengimana JMV, Shulman LN, Schleimer LE, Shyirambere C, Rusangwa C, Muvugabigwi G, Park PH, Huang C, Bigirimana JB, Hategekimana V, Rugema V, Umwizerwa A, Keating NL, Mpunga T
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Outcomes of antiretroviral treatment programmes in rural Lesotho: health centres and hospitals compared.
- Authors: Labhardt ND, Keiser O, Sello M, Lejone TI, Pfeiffer K, Davies MA, Egger M, Ehmer J, Wandeler G, SolidarMed ART Program and IeDEA-Southern Africa.
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 21
- Assessing retention in care after 12 months of the Pediatric Development Clinic implementation in rural Rwanda: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Bayitondere S, Biziyaremye F, Kirk CM, Magge H, Hann K, Wilson K, Mutaganzwa C, Ngabireyimana E, Nkikabahizi F, Shema E, Tugizimana DB, Miller AC
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 16
- Improving quality through performance-based financing in district hospitals in Rwanda between 2006 and 2010: a 5-year experience.
- Authors: Janssen W, Ngirabega Jde D, Matungwa M, Van Bastelaere S
- Issue date: 2015 Jan