Framework for the implementation of advanced HIV disease diagnostics in sub-Saharan Africa: programmatic perspectives
van Cutsem, G
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe Lancet HIV
AbstractPatients with advanced HIV disease have a high risk of mortality, mainly from tuberculosis and cryptococcal meningitis. The advanced HIV disease management package recommended by WHO, which includes diagnostics, therapeutics, and patient psychosocial support, is barely implemented in many different countries. Here, we present a framework for the implementation of advanced HIV disease diagnostics. Laboratory and point-of-care-based reflex testing, coupled with provider-initiated requested testing, for cryptococcal antigen and urinary Mycobacterium tuberculosis lipoarabinomannan antigen, should be done for all patients with CD4+ cell counts of 200 cells per μL or less. Implementation of the advanced HIV disease package should be encouraged within primary health-care facilities and task shifting of testing to lay cadres could facilitate access to rapid results. Implementation of differentiated antiretroviral therapy delivery models can allow clinicians enough time to focus on the management of patients with advanced HIV disease. Efficient up-referral and post-discharge systems, including the development of patient-centric advanced HIV disease literacy, are also crucial. Implementation of the advanced HIV disease package is feasible at all health-care levels, and it should be part of the core of the global response towards ending AIDS as a public health threat.
DescriptionWe regret that this article is behind a paywall.
- Authors: Bloom BR, Atun R, Cohen T, Dye C, Fraser H, Gomez GB, Knight G, Murray M, Nardell E, Rubin E, Salomon J, Vassall A, Volchenkov G, White R, Wilson D, Yadav P, Holmes KK, Bertozzi S, Bloom BR, Jha P
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 3
- Prevalence, predictors, and management of advanced HIV disease among individuals initiating ART in Senegal, West Africa.
- Authors: Benzekri NA, Sambou JF, Ndong S, Tamba IT, Faye D, Diallo MB, Diatta JP, Faye K, Sall I, Sall F, Manga NM, Malomar JJ, Ndour CT, Hawes SE, Seydi M, Gottlieb GS
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 15
- Global burden of disease of HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis: an updated analysis.
- Authors: Rajasingham R, Smith RM, Park BJ, Jarvis JN, Govender NP, Chiller TM, Denning DW, Loyse A, Boulware DR
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Screening HIV-Infected Patients with Low CD4 Counts for Cryptococcal Antigenemia prior to Initiation of Antiretroviral Therapy: Cost Effectiveness of Alternative Screening Strategies in South Africa.
- Authors: Larson BA, Rockers PC, Bonawitz R, Sriruttan C, Glencross DK, Cassim N, Coetzee LM, Greene GS, Chiller TM, Vallabhaneni S, Long L, van Rensburg C, Govender NP
- Issue date: 2016
- From policy to practice: exploring the implementation of antiretroviral therapy access and retention policies between 2013 and 2016 in six sub-Saharan African countries.
- Authors: Ambia J, Renju J, Wringe A, Todd J, Geubbels E, Nakiyingi-Miiro J, Urassa M, Lutalo T, Crampin AC, Kwaro D, Kyobutungi C, Chimbindi N, Gomez-Olive FX, Tlhajoane M, Njamwea B, Zaba B, Mee P
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 21