Yield of Systematic Longitudinal Screening of Household Contacts of Pre-Extensively Drug Resistant (PreXDR) and Extensively Drug Resistant (XDR) Tuberculosis Patients in Mumbai, India
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile risk of tuberculosis (TB) is high among household contacts (HHCs) of pre-extensively drug resistant (pre-XDR) TB and XDR-TB, data on yield of systematic longitudinal screening are lacking. We aim to describe the yield of systematic longitudinal TB contact tracing among HHCs of patients with pre-XDR-TB and XDR-TB. At the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) clinic, Mumbai, India a cohort comprising 518 HHCs of 109 pre-XDR and XDR index cases was enrolled between January 2016 and June 2018. Regular HHC follow-ups were done till one year post treatment of index cases. Of 518 HHCs, 23 had TB (21 on TB treatment and two newly diagnosed) at the time of first visit. Of the rest, 19% HHCs had no follow-ups. Fourteen (3.5%) TB cases were identified among 400 HHCs; incidence rate: 2072/100,000 person-years (95% CI: 1227-3499). The overall yield of household contact tracing was 3% (16/518). Of 14 who were diagnosed with TB during follow-up, six had drug susceptible TB (DSTB); six had pre-XDR-TB and one had XDR-TB. Five of fourteen cases had resistance patterns concordant with their index case. In view of the high incidence of TB among HHCs of pre-XDR and XDR-TB cases, follow-up of HHCs for at least the duration of index cases' treatment should be considered.
- A prospective longitudinal study of tuberculosis among household contacts of smear-positive tuberculosis cases in Lima, Peru.
- Authors: Otero L, Shah L, Verdonck K, Battaglioli T, Brewer T, Gotuzzo E, Seas C, Van der Stuyft P
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 8
- Yield of household contact investigation of patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in southern Ethiopia.
- Authors: Yassin MA, Yirdaw KD, Datiko DG, Cuevas LE, Yassin MA
- Issue date: 2020 May 20
- Household contact investigation of multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in a high HIV prevalence setting.
- Authors: Vella V, Racalbuto V, Guerra R, Marra C, Moll A, Mhlanga Z, Maluleke M, Mhlope H, Margot B, Friedland G, Shah NS, Gandhi NR
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes among household contacts of tuberculosis patients in India: is it time to screen them all?
- Authors: Shivakumar SVBY, Chandrasekaran P, Kumar AMV, Paradkar M, Dhanasekaran K, Suryavarshini N, Thomas B, Kohli R, Thiruvengadam K, Kulkarni V, Hannah LE, Sivaramakrishnan GN, Pradhan N, Dolla C, Gupte A, Ramachandran G, DeLuca A, Meshram S, Bhardawaj R, Bollinger RC, Golub J, Selvaraj K, Gupte N, Swaminathan S, Mave V, Gupta A
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 1
- Tuberculosis burden in households of patients with multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Becerra MC, Appleton SC, Franke MF, Chalco K, Arteaga F, Bayona J, Murray M, Atwood SS, Mitnick CD
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 8