Gaps in Hepatitis B Vaccination Completion and Sero-Protection for People Who Inject Drugs in Hpakant, Myanmar, 2015-2018
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHepatitis B vaccination (HBV) is recommended for high-risk groups, such as people who inject drugs (PWIDs). As part of a harm reduction program by a non-governmental organization, hepatitis B screening, vaccination and antibody (HBAb) testing after completion of the vaccination schedule were offered to PWIDS in Myanmar. We determined the proportions of HBV non-completion and sero-unprotection among PWIDs enrolled in the program and their association with socio-demographic and clinical characteristics. We conducted a descriptive study based on routine program data in five selected clinics in Hpakant Township, Myanmar. PWIDs who were Hepatitis B antigen negative at screening during January 2015-December 2018 were included. Among 5386 participants eligible for HBV, 9% refused vaccination. Among those who accepted vaccination (n = 3177 individuals), 65% completed vaccination. Of those tested for HBsAb (n = 2202), 30% were sero-unprotected. Young-adults (aged 18-44 years) and migrant workers had a higher risk of incomplete vaccination. However, participants who used methadone had a lower risk of incomplete vaccination. Migrant workers had higher risk of not returning for HBsAb testing and HIV-positive participants had a higher risk of being HBV sero-unprotected. Efforts to increase HBV vaccination in PWIDs for young adults and clients during methadone and anti-retroviral services should be prioritized.
- Vaccination against hepatitis B virus among people who inject drugs - A 20year experience from a Swedish needle exchange program.
- Authors: Alanko Blomé M, Björkman P, Flamholc L, Jacobsson H, Widell A
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 3
- Development of immunity following financial incentives for hepatitis B vaccination among people who inject drugs: A randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Day CA, Shanahan M, Wand H, Topp L, Haber PS, Rodgers C, Deacon R, Walsh N, Kaldor J, van Beek I, Maher L, Hepatitis Acceptability Group Vaccine Incentives Trial Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Hepatitis A and B among young persons who inject drugs--vaccination, past, and present infection.
- Authors: Collier MG, Drobeniuc J, Cuevas-Mota J, Garfein RS, Kamili S, Teshale EH
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 4
- Hepatitis B vaccination uptake in hard-to-reach populations in London: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Taylor JEB, Surey J, MacLellan J, Francis M, Abubakar I, Stagg HR
- Issue date: 2019 May 2
- HIV, Hepatitis B and C among people who inject drugs: high prevalence of HIV and Hepatitis C RNA positive infections observed in Delhi, India.
- Authors: Ray Saraswati L, Sarna A, Sebastian MP, Sharma V, Madan I, Thior I, Pulerwitz J, Tun W
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 30