Acute respiratory failure in an infant and thiamine deficiency in West Africa: a case report
MetadataShow full item record
JournalOxford Medical Case Reports
AbstractIn paediatrics, the overall clinical picture of thiamine deficiency (TD) is not easy to recognize, because it mimics or can be confused with other diseases even in cases of classic beriberi. Unsurprisingly, the likelihood of misdiagnosis of TD is even greater where beriberi has not been described. Critically ill patients have increased thiamine body consumption and dextrose-based IV fluid increases thiamine cellular demand even further. Consequently, severe acute conditions may result in TD, or trigger TD signs in patients with borderline thiamine status, with life-threatening consequences. Here, we describe the case of a young patient admitted to a West African hospital where TD is not well documented and diagnosed with severe pneumonia who responded dramatically to thiamine injection. The lack of rapid diagnostic capacity and the severe outcome of TD justify the use of a therapeutic thiamine challenge in cases with high clinical suspicion. Increased awareness about TD and low threshold for thiamine use should guide clinicians in their practice.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Thiamine Deficiency in Tropical Pediatrics: New Insights into a Neglected but Vital Metabolic Challenge.
- Authors: Hiffler L, Rakotoambinina B, Lafferty N, Martinez Garcia D
- Issue date: 2016
- Outbreak of life-threatening thiamine deficiency in infants in Israel caused by a defective soy-based formula.
- Authors: Fattal-Valevski A, Kesler A, Sela BA, Nitzan-Kaluski D, Rotstein M, Mesterman R, Toledano-Alhadef H, Stolovitch C, Hoffmann C, Globus O, Eshel G
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Shoshin Beriberi in Critically-Ill patients: case series.
- Authors: Dabar G, Harmouche C, Habr B, Riachi M, Jaber B
- Issue date: 2015 May 17
- Dry Beriberi Due to Thiamine Deficiency Associated with Peripheral Neuropathy and Wernicke's Encephalopathy Mimicking Guillain-Barré syndrome: A Case Report and Review of the Literature.
- Authors: Shible AA, Ramadurai D, Gergen D, Reynolds PM
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 13
- Current aspects of thiamine deficiency on heart function.
- Authors: Roman-Campos D, Cruz JS
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 7