Mortality in adults with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV by antiretroviral therapy and tuberculosis drug use: an individual patient data meta-analysis.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: HIV-infection is associated with increased mortality during multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment, but the extent to which the use of antiretroviral therapy (ART) and anti-tuberculosis medications modify this risk are unclear. Our objective was to evaluate how use of these treatments altered mortality risk in HIV-positive adults with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Methods: We did an individual patient data meta-analysis of adults 18 years or older with confirmed or presumed multidrug-resistant tuberculosis initiating tuberculosis treatment between 1993 and 2016. Data included ART use and anti-tuberculosis medications grouped according to WHO effectiveness categories. The primary analysis compared HIV-positive with HIV-negative patients in terms of death during multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment, excluding those lost to follow up, and was stratified by ART use. Analyses used logistic regression after exact matching on country World Bank income classification and drug resistance and propensity-score matching on age, sex, geographic site, year of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment initiation, previous tuberculosis treatment, directly observed therapy, and acid-fast-bacilli smear-positivity to obtain adjusted odds ratios (aORs) and 95% CIs. Secondary analyses were conducted among those with HIV-infection. Findings: We included 11 920 multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients. 2997 (25%) were HIV-positive and on ART, 886 (7%) were HIV-positive and not on ART, and 1749 (15%) had extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. By use of HIV-negative patients as reference, the aOR of death was 2·4 (95% CI 2·0-2·9) for all patients with HIV-infection, 1·8 (1·5-2·2) for HIV-positive patients on ART, and 4·2 (3·0-5·9) for HIV-positive patients with no or unknown ART. Among patients with HIV, use of at least one WHO Group A drug and specific use of moxifloxacin, levofloxacin, bedaquiline, or linezolid were associated with significantly decreased odds of death. Interpretation: Use of ART and more effective anti-tuberculosis drugs is associated with lower odds of death among HIV-positive patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. Access to these therapies should be urgently pursued.
- Treatment correlates of successful outcomes in pulmonary multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: an individual patient data meta-analysis.
- Authors: Collaborative Group for the Meta-Analysis of Individual Patient Data in MDR-TB treatment–2017., Ahmad N, Ahuja SD, Akkerman OW, Alffenaar JC, Anderson LF, Baghaei P, Bang D, Barry PM, Bastos ML, Behera D, Benedetti A, Bisson GP, Boeree MJ, Bonnet M, Brode SK, Brust JCM, Cai Y, Caumes E, Cegielski JP, Centis R, Chan PC, Chan ED, Chang KC, Charles M, Cirule A, Dalcolmo MP, D'Ambrosio L, de Vries G, Dheda K, Esmail A, Flood J, Fox GJ, Fréchet-Jachym M, Fregona G, Gayoso R, Gegia M, Gler MT, Gu S, Guglielmetti L, Holtz TH, Hughes J, Isaakidis P, Jarlsberg L, Kempker RR, Keshavjee S, Khan FA, Kipiani M, Koenig SP, Koh WJ, Kritski A, Kuksa L, Kvasnovsky CL, Kwak N, Lan Z, Lange C, Laniado-Laborín R, Lee M, Leimane V, Leung CC, Leung EC, Li PZ, Lowenthal P, Maciel EL, Marks SM, Mase S, Mbuagbaw L, Migliori GB, Milanov V, Miller AC, Mitnick CD, Modongo C, Mohr E, Monedero I, Nahid P, Ndjeka N, O'Donnell MR, Padayatchi N, Palmero D, Pape JW, Podewils LJ, Reynolds I, Riekstina V, Robert J, Rodriguez M, Seaworth B, Seung KJ, Schnippel K, Shim TS, Singla R, Smith SE, Sotgiu G, Sukhbaatar G, Tabarsi P, Tiberi S, Trajman A, Trieu L, Udwadia ZF, van der Werf TS, Veziris N, Viiklepp P, Vilbrun SC, Walsh K, Westenhouse J, Yew WW, Yim JJ, Zetola NM, Zignol M, Menzies D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 8
- Drug-associated adverse events in the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: an individual patient data meta-analysis.
- Authors: Lan Z, Ahmad N, Baghaei P, Barkane L, Benedetti A, Brode SK, Brust JCM, Campbell JR, Chang VWL, Falzon D, Guglielmetti L, Isaakidis P, Kempker RR, Kipiani M, Kuksa L, Lange C, Laniado-Laborín R, Nahid P, Rodrigues D, Singla R, Udwadia ZF, Menzies D, Collaborative Group for the Meta-Analysis of Individual Patient Data in MDR-TB treatment 2017.
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Tuberculosis-related mortality in people living with HIV in Europe and Latin America: an international cohort study.
- Authors: Podlekareva DN, Efsen AM, Schultze A, Post FA, Skrahina AM, Panteleev A, Furrer H, Miller RF, Losso MH, Toibaro J, Miro JM, Vassilenko A, Girardi E, Bruyand M, Obel N, Lundgren JD, Mocroft A, Kirk O, TB:HIV study group in EuroCoord.
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Improved survival in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients receiving integrated tuberculosis and antiretroviral treatment in the SAPiT Trial.
- Authors: Padayatchi N, Abdool Karim SS, Naidoo K, Grobler A, Friedland G
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Undertreated HIV and drug-resistant tuberculosis at a referral hospital in Irkutsk, Siberia.
- Authors: Heysell SK, Ogarkov OB, Zhdanova S, Zorkaltseva E, Shugaeva S, Gratz J, Vitko S, Savilov ED, Koshcheyev ME, Houpt ER
- Issue date: 2016 Feb