Adherence and Population Pharmacokinetic Properties of Amodiaquine When Used for Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention in African Children.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPoor adherence to seasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC) might affect the protective effectiveness of SMC. Here, we evaluated the population pharmacokinetic properties of amodiaquine and its active metabolite, desethylamodiaquine, in children receiving SMC under directly observed ideal conditions (n = 136), and the adherence of SMC at an implementation phase in children participating in a case-control study to evaluate SMC effectiveness (n = 869). Amodiaquine and desethylamodiaquine concentration-time profiles were described simultaneously by two-compartment and three-compartment disposition models, respectively. The developed methodology to evaluate adherence showed a sensitivity of 65-71% when the first dose of SMC was directly observed and 71-73% when no doses were observed in a routine programmatic setting. Adherence simulations and measured desethylamodiaquine concentrations in the case-control children showed complete adherence (all doses taken) in < 20% of children. This result suggests that more efforts are needed urgently to improve the adherence to SMC among children in this area.
- Investigating selected host and parasite factors potentially impacting upon seasonal malaria chemoprevention in Bama, Burkina Faso.
- Authors: Somé FA, Bazié T, Ehrlich HY, Goodwin J, Lehane A, Neya C, Zachari K, Wade M, Ouattara JM, Foy BD, Dabiré RK, Parikh S, Ouédraogo JB
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 6
- Effectiveness of Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention in Children under Ten Years of Age in Senegal: A Stepped-Wedge Cluster-Randomised Trial.
- Authors: Cissé B, Ba EH, Sokhna C, NDiaye JL, Gomis JF, Dial Y, Pitt C, NDiaye M, Cairns M, Faye E, NDiaye M, Lo A, Tine R, Faye S, Faye B, Sy O, Konate L, Kouevijdin E, Flach C, Faye O, Trape JF, Sutherland C, Fall FB, Thior PM, Faye OK, Greenwood B, Gaye O, Milligan P
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Evaluation of seasonal malaria chemoprevention in two areas of intense seasonal malaria transmission: Secondary analysis of a household-randomised, placebo-controlled trial in Houndé District, Burkina Faso and Bougouni District, Mali.
- Authors: Cairns ME, Sagara I, Zongo I, Kuepfer I, Thera I, Nikiema F, Diarra M, Yerbanga SR, Barry A, Tapily A, Coumare S, Milligan P, Tinto H, Ouédraogo JB, Chandramohan D, Greenwood B, Djimde A, Dicko A
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Seasonal malaria chemoprevention: successes and missed opportunities.
- Authors: Coldiron ME, Von Seidlein L, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 28
- Safety of Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention (SMC) with Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine plus Amodiaquine when Delivered to Children under 10 Years of Age by District Health Services in Senegal: Results from a Stepped-Wedge Cluster Randomized Trial.
- Authors: NDiaye JL, Cissé B, Ba EH, Gomis JF, Ndour CT, Molez JF, Fall FB, Sokhna C, Faye B, Kouevijdin E, Niane FK, Cairns M, Trape JF, Rogier C, Gaye O, Greenwood BM, Milligan PJ
- Issue date: 2016