Early onset of neurological features differentiates two outbreaks of Lassa fever in Ebonyi state, Nigeria during 2017-2018.
Gil Cuesta, J
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractLassa fever (LF) is an acute viral haemorrhagic illness with various non-specific clinical manifestations. Neurological symptoms are rare at the early stage of the disease, but may be seen in late stages, in severely ill patients.The aim of this study was to describe the epidemiological evolution, socio-demographic profiles, clinical characteristics, and outcomes of patients seen during two Lassa fever outbreaks in Ebonyi State, between December 2017 and December 2018. Routinely collected clinical data from all patients admitted to the Virology Centre of the hospital during the period were analysed retrospectively. Out of a total of 83 cases, 70(84.3%) were RT-PCR confirmed while 13 (15.7%) were probable cases. Sixty-nine (83.1%) patients were seen in outbreak 1 of whom 53.6% were urban residents, while 19%, 15%, and 10% were farmers, students and health workers respectively. There were 14 (16.8%) patients, seen in second outbreak with 92.9% rural residents. There were differences in clinical symptoms, signs and laboratory findings between the two outbreaks. The case fatality rates were 29.9% in outbreak 1 and 85.7% for outbreak 2. Neurological features and abnormal laboratory test results were associated with higher mortality rate, seen in outbreak 2. This study revealed significant differences between the two outbreaks. Of particular concern was the higher case fatality during the outbreak 2 which may be from a more virulent strain of the Lassa virus. This has important public health implications and further molecular studies are needed to better define its characteristics.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Epidemiologic and Clinical Features of Lassa Fever Outbreak in Nigeria, January 1-May 6, 2018.
- Authors: Ilori EA, Furuse Y, Ipadeola OB, Dan-Nwafor CC, Abubakar A, Womi-Eteng OE, Ogbaini-Emovon E, Okogbenin S, Unigwe U, Ogah E, Ayodeji O, Abejegah C, Liasu AA, Musa EO, Woldetsadik SF, Lasuba CLP, Alemu W, Ihekweazu C, Nigeria Lassa Fever National Response Team.
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Containing a Lassa fever epidemic in a resource-limited setting: outbreak description and lessons learned from Abakaliki, Nigeria (January-March 2012).
- Authors: Ajayi NA, Nwigwe CG, Azuogu BN, Onyire BN, Nwonwu EU, Ogbonnaya LU, Onwe FI, Ekaete T, Günther S, Ukwaja KN
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Lassa Fever 2016 Outbreak in Plateau State, Nigeria-The Changing Epidemiology and Clinical Presentation.
- Authors: Shehu NY, Gomerep SS, Isa SE, Iraoyah KO, Mafuka J, Bitrus N, Dachom MC, Ogwuche JE, Onukak AE, Onyedibe KI, Ogbaini-Emovon E, Egah DZ, Mateer EJ, Paessler S
- Issue date: 2018
- Infection pattern, case fatality rate and spread of Lassa virus in Nigeria.
- Authors: Yaro CA, Kogi E, Opara KN, Batiha GE, Baty RS, Albrakati A, Altalbawy FMA, Etuh IU, Oni JP
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 5
- Lessons Learnt from Epidemiological Investigation of Lassa Fever Outbreak in a Southwest State of Nigeria December 2015 to April 2016.
- Authors: Isere EE, Fatiregun AA, Ilesanmi O, Ijarotimi I, Egube B, Adejugbagbe A, Famokun GA
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 29