Urine Lipoarabinomannan Testing for All HIV Patients Hospitalized in Medical Wards Identifies a Large Proportion of Patients With Tuberculosis at Risk of Death.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
AbstractAmong 387 inpatients, 54% had a CD4 <200 cells/µL, 64% had presumptive TB, and 90% had ≥1 TB symptom recorded in their medical file. LAM results were available for 99.0% of patients, microscopy for 62.8%, and Xpert for 60.7%. In total, 26.1% (100/383) had LAM-positive results, 48% (48/100) of which were grades 2-4. Any TB laboratory test result was positive in 30.8% (119/387). Among patients with no Xpert result, 28.5% (43/151) were LAM-positive. Cumulative 6-month mortality was 40.1% (151/377): 50.5% (49/97) in LAM-positives and 36.2% (100/276) in LAM-negatives (P = .013). In multivariable regression analyses, LAM-positive patients had a higher risk of mortality than LAM-negatives (adjusted odds ratio, 2.5; 95% CI, 1.1-5.8; P = .037).
PublisherOxford University Press
- Diagnostic value of the urine lipoarabinomannan assay in HIV-positive, ambulatory patients with CD4 below 200 cells/μl in 2 low-resource settings: A prospective observational study.
- Authors: Huerga H, Mathabire Rucker SC, Cossa L, Bastard M, Amoros I, Manhiça I, Mbendera K, Telnov A, Szumilin E, Sanchez-Padilla E, Molfino L
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Should Urine-LAM Tests Be Used in TB Symptomatic HIV-Positive Patients When No CD4 Count Is Available? A Prospective Observational Cohort Study From Malawi.
- Authors: Huerga H, Rucker SCM, Bastard M, Dimba A, Kamba C, Amoros I, Szumilin E
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 1
- Lateral flow urine lipoarabinomannan assay for detecting active tuberculosis in HIV-positive adults.
- Authors: Shah M, Hanrahan C, Wang ZY, Dendukuri N, Lawn SD, Denkinger CM, Steingart KR
- Issue date: 2016 May 10
- Diagnostic accuracy, incremental yield and prognostic value of Determine TB-LAM for routine diagnostic testing for tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients requiring acute hospital admission in South Africa: a prospective cohort.
- Authors: Lawn SD, Kerkhoff AD, Burton R, Schutz C, Boulle A, Vogt M, Gupta-Wright A, Nicol MP, Meintjes G
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 21
- An Optimal Diagnostic Strategy for Tuberculosis in Hospitalized HIV-Infected Patients Using GeneXpert MTB/RIF and Alere Determine TB LAM Ag.
- Authors: Esmail A, Pooran A, Sabur NF, Fadul M, Brar MS, Oelofse S, Tomasicchio M, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 22