Comparison of Lung Ultrasound versus Chest X-ray for Detection of Pulmonary Infiltrates in COVID-19.
AuthorsMateos Gonzalez, M
Garcia de Casasola Sanchez, G
Oritz Jaimes, GE
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPoint-of-care lung ultrasound (LUS) is an attractive alternative to chest X-ray (CXR), but its diagnostic accuracy compared to CXR has not been well studied in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients. We conducted a prospective observational study to assess the correlation between LUS and CXR findings in COVID-19 patients. Ninety-six patients with a clinical diagnosis of COVID-19 underwent an LUS exam and CXR upon presentation. Physicians blinded to the CXR findings performed all LUS exams. Detection of pulmonary infiltrates by CXR versus LUS was compared between patients categorized as suspected or confirmed COVID-19 based on reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction. Sensitivities and correlation by Kappa statistic were calculated between LUS and CXR. LUS detected pulmonary infiltrates more often than CXR in both suspected and confirmed COVID-19 subjects. The most common LUS abnormalities were discrete B-lines, confluent B-lines, and small subpleural consolidations. Most important, LUS detected unilateral or bilateral pulmonary infiltrates in 55% of subjects with a normal CXR. Substantial agreement was demonstrated between LUS and CXR for normal, unilateral or bilateral findings (Κ = 0.48 (95% CI 0.34 to 0.63)). In patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19, LUS detected pulmonary infiltrates more often than CXR, including more than half of the patients with a normal CXR.
- Point-of-care Lung Ultrasound Is More Sensitive than Chest Radiograph for Evaluation of COVID-19.
- Authors: Pare JR, Camelo I, Mayo KC, Leo MM, Dugas JN, Nelson KP, Baker WE, Shareef F, Mitchell PM, Schechter-Perkins EM
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 19
- Lung Ultrasound vs. Chest X-Ray Study for the Radiographic Diagnosis of COVID-19 Pneumonia in a High-Prevalence Population.
- Authors: Gibbons RC, Magee M, Goett H, Murrett J, Genninger J, Mendez K, Tripod M, Tyner N, Costantino TG
- Issue date: 2021 May
- Correlation between Chest Computed Tomography and Lung Ultrasonography in Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Authors: Tung-Chen Y, Martí de Gracia M, Díez-Tascón A, Alonso-González R, Agudo-Fernández S, Parra-Gordo ML, Ossaba-Vélez S, Rodríguez-Fuertes P, Llamas-Fuentes R
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Descriptive analysis of a comparison between lung ultrasound and chest radiography in patients suspected of COVID-19.
- Authors: Volpicelli G, Cardinale L, Fraccalini T, Calandri M, Piatti C, Geninatti C, Stranieri G
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 26
- Lung Ultrasound in COVID-19 Pneumonia: Correlations with Chest CT on Hospital admission.
- Authors: Nouvenne A, Zani MD, Milanese G, Parise A, Baciarello M, Bignami EG, Odone A, Sverzellati N, Meschi T, Ticinesi A
- Issue date: 2020