How COVID-19 highlighted the need for infection prevention and control measures to become central to the global conversation: experience from the conflict settings of the Middle-East.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe COVID-19 pandemic has managed to bring to the foreground, in just few months, the conversation around what Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) experts have been pushing for decades to control the spread of infections. Implementing the basics of IPC has been a challenge for all affected countries battling with an exponential COVID-19 curve of infection, preventing nosocomial transmission of the disease in highly-resourced and stable contexts but more so in the conflict context of the Middle-East. COVID-19 has created additional challenges to a long list of existing ones hindering the implementation of optimal IPC measures, necessary to break the chain of infection of both respiratory and non-respiratory infections, in those settings. This paper outlines and gives examples of the challenges faced across the Middle East conflict setting and serves as a call for action for IPC to be prioritized, given the needed resources, and fed with contextualized evidence.
- Barriers and facilitators to healthcare workers' adherence with infection prevention and control (IPC) guidelines for respiratory infectious diseases: a rapid qualitative evidence synthesis.
- Authors: Houghton C, Meskell P, Delaney H, Smalle M, Glenton C, Booth A, Chan XHS, Devane D, Biesty LM
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 21
- Building a Virtual Global Knowledge Network During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic: The Infection Prevention and Control Global Webinar Series.
- Authors: Wilson K, Dennison C, Struminger B, Armistad A, Osuka H, Montoya E, Padoveze MC, Arora S, Park B, Lessa FC
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 15
- Current knowledge of COVID-19 and infection prevention and control strategies in healthcare settings: A global analysis.
- Authors: Islam MS, Rahman KM, Sun Y, Qureshi MO, Abdi I, Chughtai AA, Seale H
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Infection prevention and control (IPC) implementation in low-resource settings: a qualitative analysis.
- Authors: Tomczyk S, Storr J, Kilpatrick C, Allegranzi B
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 31
- Implementation research for the prevention of antimicrobial resistance and healthcare-associated infections; 2017 Geneva infection prevention and control (IPC)-think tank (part 1).
- Authors: Zingg W, Storr J, Park BJ, Ahmad R, Tarrant C, Castro-Sanchez E, Tomczyk S, Kilpatrick C, Allegranzi B, Cardo D, Pittet D, 2017 Geneva IPC-Think Tank.
- Issue date: 2019