Semiyu Adetunji, A
de Jong, A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Nigerian Ministry of Health has been offering care for noma patients for many years at the Noma Children's Hospital (NCH) in Sokoto, northwest Nigeria, and Médecins Sans Frontières has supported these initiatives since 2014. The comprehensive model of care consists of four main components: acute care, care for noma sequelae, integrated hospital-based services and community-based services. The model of care is based on the limited evidence available for prevention and treatment of noma and follows WHO's protocols for acute patients and best practice guidelines for the surgical treatment of noma survivors. The model is updated continually as new evidence becomes available, including evidence generated through the operational research studies performed at NCH. By describing the model of care, we wish to share the lessons learned with other actors working in the noma and neglected tropical disease sphere in the hope of guiding programme development.
- 'I treat it but I don't know what this disease is': a qualitative study on noma (cancrum oris) and traditional healing in northwest Nigeria.
- Authors: Farley E, Bala HM, Lenglet A, Mehta U, Abubakar N, Samuel J, de Jong A, Bil K, Oluyide B, Fotso A, Stringer B, Cuesta JG, Venables E
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 1
- Outcomes at 18 mo of 37 noma (cancrum oris) cases surgically treated at the Noma Children's Hospital, Sokoto, Nigeria.
- Authors: Farley ES, Amirtharajah M, Winters RD, Taiwo AO, Oyemakinde MJ, Fotso A, Torhee LA, Mehta UC, Bil KA, Lenglet AD
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 6
- Noma surgery.
- Authors: Shaye DA, Winters R, Rabbels J, Adentunji AS, Magee A, Vo D
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Pattern of noma (cancrum oris) and its risk factors in Northwestern Nigeria: A hospital-based retrospective study.
- Authors: Adeniyi SA, Awosan KJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jan-Mar
- Language and beliefs in relation to noma: a qualitative study, northwest Nigeria.
- Authors: Farley E, Lenglet A, Abubakar A, Bil K, Fotso A, Oluyide B, Tirima S, Mehta U, Stringer B
- Issue date: 2020 Jan