No Evidence Known Viruses Play a Role in the Pathogenesis of Onchocerciasis-Associated Epilepsy. An Explorative Metagenomic Case-Control Study.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite the increasing epidemiological evidence that the Onchocerca volvulus parasite is strongly associated with epilepsy in children, hence the name onchocerciasis-associated epilepsy (OAE), the pathophysiological mechanism of OAE remains to be elucidated. In June 2014, children with unprovoked convulsive epilepsy and healthy controls were enrolled in a case control study in Titule, Bas-Uélé Province in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to identify risk factors for epilepsy. Using a subset of samples collected from individuals enrolled in this study (16 persons with OAE and 9 controls) plasma, buffy coat, and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) were subjected to random-primed next-generation sequencing. The resulting sequences were analyzed using sensitive computational methods to identify viral DNA and RNA sequences. Anneloviridae, Flaviviridae, Hepadnaviridae (Hepatitis B virus), Herpesviridae, Papillomaviridae, Polyomaviridae (Human polyomavirus), and Virgaviridae were identified in cases and in controls. Not unexpectedly, a variety of bacteriophages were also detected in all cases and controls. However, none of the identified viral sequences were found enriched in OAE cases, which was our criteria for agents that might play a role in the etiology or pathogenesis of OAE.
- Risk factors for epilepsy in Bas-Uélé Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo: a case-control study.
- Authors: Colebunders R, Mandro M, Mokili JL, Mucinya G, Mambandu G, Pfarr K, Reiter-Owona I, Hoerauf A, Tepage F, Levick B, Begon M, Laudisoit A
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Nodding syndrome and epilepsy in onchocerciasis endemic regions: comparing preliminary observations from South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo with data from Uganda.
- Authors: Colebunders R, Hendy A, Mokili JL, Wamala JF, Kaducu J, Kur L, Tepage F, Mandro M, Mucinya G, Mambandu G, Komba MY, Lumaliza JL, van Oijen M, Laudisoit A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 22
- Serotonin Levels in the Serum of Persons with Onchocerciasis-Associated Epilepsy: A Case-Control Study.
- Authors: Vieri MK, Hotterbeekx A, Mandro M, Siewe Fodjo JN, Dusabimana A, Nyisi F, Mukendi D, Gwatsvaira J, Kumar-Singh S, Colebunders R
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 8
- Onchocerca volvulus as a risk factor for developing epilepsy in onchocerciasis endemic regions in the Democratic Republic of Congo: a case control study.
- Authors: Mandro M, Suykerbuyk P, Tepage F, Rossy D, Ngave F, Hasan MN, Hotterbeekx A, Mambandu G, Kashama JM, Laudisoit A, Colebunders R
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 8
- Onchocerca volvulus is not detected in the cerebrospinal fluid of persons with onchocerciasis-associated epilepsy.
- Authors: Hotterbeekx A, Raimon S, Abd-Elfarag G, Carter JY, Sebit W, Suliman A, Siewe Fodjo JN, De Witte P, Logora MY, Colebunders R, Kumar-Singh S
- Issue date: 2020 Feb